Neck blanks the Viking way

Sven

Reaction score
I was rummaging through the piles in the workshop, looking for a few neck blanks I knew were there. When I found them it was obvious why they'd sifted down to the bottom of the pile, they were simply no good. One of Spanish cedar had a knot going across it, one of mahogany had worm holes and the others were even worse. So I put them in the fire pile and reached for a big slab of mahogany. Problem was of course that in my apartment workshop there's no big bandsaw. And the big bandsaw I keep at my summer house is up the creek with no paddle.

So what can a poor boy do? (Except, of course, to sing for a rock'n'roll band.) He can choose to see this as not a problem but an opportunity to give the handsaw collection an outing. Below are pics of the various steps, I think they're pretty self-explanatory. But if you have any questions please ask me.

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

That's proper hardcore!

We don't need no steenkin' elecktrickery down* here!

*Should maybe be "up here" since I'm fairly close to the North pole.

All I can say is you Vikings are pretty durn tough!! ;)

Very nice! Along with a shop for my mopeds I wanted one to do some woodworking. I'm sometimes tempted to move so I can have a garage. I do all my moped work sitting in my parking space in my condo basement.
I can't quite tell, but did you cut and flip the headpiece to glue it, or are they actually cut from the original piece?
I'm cheating like heck on my cookie tin ukes and just stealing the entire neck assembly off a $25 uke to use that. Those are something I can chop up without making too much mess.
Post up the ukes you build with it.

Fanx for the kind wurds everyone. They’re all one piece necks out of that massive plank. Nesting them helps me save some wood. The elliptical block in between them can be used for neck and end blocks but honestly I prefer one piece necks because they save time. Or steps in the work process really, the concept of me saving time seems rather strange in a thread where I just displayed hours of hand sawing and planing.

Top Bottom