Goldtone little Gem uke banjo

uketanzon

Reaction score
First let my post my uke banjo credentials......I have owned and played the following:

Original Duke
Duke 10
Deering concert
Firefly soprano
firefly concert
Kmise concert
Southern Cross
goldtone regular

(have not yet played the Firefly Tenor, Deering Tenor, The new Outdoor uke banjo or the new KMISE plastic banjo which looks very similar to the Goldtone little gem)

Just got a plastic Gold Tone little gem concert in clear (diamond).

BAZMAZ did a great review on this...here is my opinion

......Its a keeper
- very cool looking eye candy ( i added artwork to clear pot to customize mine, thats why I opted for clear)
-its built well, (not junk at all and not a toy)
- Plays and frets well
- Sounds pretty damn good.....going to change strings to PHD nylons
-comes with bag and tool kit
-Can play with resonator back or open back...let your ears guide you which you like better..

(my opinion, yours may differ)
The Deering banjo weighed like a boat anchor....and surprisingly was not so easy to chord, felt cramped 1-3 positions
The fireflys were too novelty toy like, but great weight, maybe too light
the Kmise was ok for money, but pretty low end, with low end sound quality
the reg goldtone was heavy and to me a little clanky looking, sound nothing special
the duke Banjos were very good, especially the duke 10 which was so easy chord, a joy to play
The Southern cross is a work of art and one of a kind eye candy with nice sound, a bit heavy though

The Gold tone little gem...Super cool looking, nice feel/decent weight, great price point ($149.00 on amazon or reverb) ..nothing to be ashamed of ...very decent sounding concert banjo...
there is a reason it won best of shown in NAMM
Pick your color and get one!

-

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Bought one and put on low g string. Maybe it was my ears, but the area by the A string sounded really flat and I couldn't adjust it. Notice anything like that? Maybe it was the one I got and sent back. I really wanted to love it and am halfway tempted to try it again. What did you think? I bought a Duke and LOVE it, but just can't play it because the tenor size is too big for my hands (really). I'll probably sell it.

mmmmmm....no mine seems ok.....you could adjust bridge placement a littke, angle up a bit towards a if she is flat
use the harmonic method for banjo bridge placement.....to me those oem strings suck....i would try better quality strings...its just so cool looking...

If its a DUKE 10 and your selling for a GREAT PRICE.....give me a shout..."might" be interested, ya never know.

mmmmmm....no mine seems ok.....you could adjust bridge placement a littke, angle up a bit towards a if she is flat
use the harmonic method for banjo bridge placement.....to me those oem strings suck....i would try better quality strings...its just so cool looking...

If its a DUKE 10 and your selling for a GREAT PRICE.....give me a shout..."might" be interested, ya never know.

Thanks. I'll have to figure out harmonic method as opposed to just measuring. Tried adjusting bridge a little but it still sounded off. I'm curious, how do you tune yours. A lot of people seem to tune like a banjo. I actually want to fingerpick down the road. Right now I'm just trying to play decently.
Right now I'm doing these for fun
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VPeN7CJMj7DJJqws8

Top Bottom