Season 358: The 1930s!

If you can imagine Robert Johnson playing a house party and trying to get the dance floor going, this might have been one that did it. Similar basic progression for a ton of country blues numbers, including Hot Tuna's "Keep on Truckin'" (and happy 78th birthday, Jorma Kaukonen!)

I truly enjoyed this first day of my Season. So many wonderful songs! I can't wait for the rest of the week. Merry Christmas everyone!

I learned this one from a fellow named Wills way back in 1936, but I expect he learned it from someone else.

I truly enjoyed this first day of my Season. So many wonderful songs! I can't wait for the rest of the week. Merry Christmas everyone!

Really want to join in this week, Randy (love the theme!) ... but away until late Saturday. Will try to do something on Sunday, meanwhile, I'll enjoy listening to everyone else.

This took hours to render.
It's seasonal, but not this season.
I heard a while back that many jazz clubs ban it because it is over played.

Thirties Christmas Song instrumental...he's on his way !!

Greetings,

Gonna try. Miss you all!

Ciao

I’m a little bummed out that there’s no option for original songs this week, since I have an ode to a 1930s roller derby star.

I played this a lot in my busking set over the past few weeks! If you know the words, sing along at home.

"falling in love again" - this song is from the 1930 marlene dietrich film "the blue angel" (but the clip in my vid is from another 1930 film of hers, "morocco"... because it is, in my humble opinion, delish)

Why has my post got someone else's video on it ?

It doesn't when I look at it, is has your "Summertime" rendition.

Perhaps you allready played it in you own browser, and Youtube suggests a "next video" to watch?
That makes it look like there is another video, but only to people who just watched your video.

I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful holiday with lots of ukuleles under the tree!

In about an hour, I have to catch a train. I'm gone for a couple of weeks to sit a ten-day silent meditation course. See y'all after the New Year!

I was up last night trying to figure out this song by Ida Cox. I shot you folks a video to demonstrate the main riff and the song structure. Pretty slick how it lays down on the ukulele.

I was certain this was solid 1930s stuff, but I just discovered it was recorded in March of 1940. Perhaps it was conceived in late '39? I hope to get a ghetto pass on this one!

This is one of those timeless songs that Leadbelly recorded in the late '30s for the Lomaxes, just after they got him released from prison. He reportedly claimed to have written it as early as 1905 and recorded it first in 1924 (I believe). After he died, it was sanitized and made popular again by a lot of other people. Here's the nonsanitized version.

My little acoustic trio Kitchen Kings playing a song from 1931 that was first sung by Cab Calloway, but came to the attention of the uke community by the version of George Harrison.

Top Bottom