Strings for Kala KA-8

RedStickUkulele

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I am working on purchasing my second ukulele. I mostly strum and I have my eye on the Kala laminate Mahogany 8 string. I was wondering if anyone had tried any other strings other than the aquila strings that come with this ukelele. I find that the aquila strings on my other laminate Cordoba tenor uke sound a bit unbalanced when strumming. I tried some Alohis, but lost what seemed like a noticeable amount of volume . I like warmth, but I would hope to not lose too much volume.

The only 8 string sets I am aware of are the aquila, worth, Kamaka and koolau

Any suggestions?

With an 8 string some of the sets may have wound strings. Some people like them but keep in mind that they go dull and won't last as long as other strings. Aquila may have red strings which tend to keep their sound as do the fluorocarbons. Those would be my preference.

With an 8 string some of the sets may have wound strings. Some people like them but keep in mind that they go dull and won't last as long as other strings. Aquila may have red strings which tend to keep their sound as do the fluorocarbons. Those would be my preference.

Would the red or fluorocarbon strings require any adjustment to the nut? I hear they are fatter than the regular wound strings.

Would the red or fluorocarbon strings require any adjustment to the nut? I hear they are fatter than the regular wound strings.

I think that fluororcarbons are often thinner, and the red ones looks similar to me. Best to check out the specs of the various sets to compare diameters. I have heard that the red aquila low Gs can break if the nut is too tight. Mine is about 5 years old and still going strong. I am planning to have my 6-string Kamaka changed to aquila with a red low A, and will have that done by my luthier to make sure it will be perfect and the nut is adjusted if necessary.

Yes, I would check the specs of strings first. I don't like wound strings and put a Worth clear fluorocarbon low D on a baritone I once owned. The gauge was too wide for the nut and intonation was off.

Most low G and low C strings will be wound. I believe even the Aquila Red low G strings are wound.

I think Living Water makes an 8-string tenor set and they don't do wound strings. I replaced the high G on my tenor with Living Water low G and it works great.

Yes, I would check the specs of strings first. I don't like wound strings and put a Worth clear fluorocarbon low D on a baritone I once owned. The gauge was too wide for the nut and intonation was off.

Most low G and low C strings will be wound. I believe even the Aquila Red low G strings are wound.

I think Living Water makes an 8-string tenor set and they don't do wound strings. I replaced the high G on my tenor with Living Water low G and it works great.

Oddly enough when you buy a set of low g Red series strings it comes with a wound low g but you can order actual Red low g strings in single packs. I've got a concert and a tenor I believe in my string assortment at home.

Top Bottom