Turtulele

fowl

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or played one of the fiberglass Turtulele ukes that Amazon has on their site. It appears they are made in the Phillipines.

Interesting concept, if they made it in a pineapple shape which would make it look more like a real turtle shell I'd be more interested. For a decent sounding weather resistant 'ukulele I'm totally satisfied with my Bugsgear Aqualele.

Back in the mid to late 1980's one could find real turtle back ukulele's and similar instruments in some of the markets in the Philippines. I cannot speak to the quality of the instruments. I did have a Philippine made guitar. It was of a higher quality of the kind made in the country at the time. I left it with a neighbor as traveling back to the States with it would have been a challenge. I would think that real turtle back instruments would be hard to travel with today due to various international treaties concerning trade in wildlife.

The one offered on amazon is less than attractive. Wonder how it sounds? I'd lean towards a Waterman or more likely and Outdoor Uke if I wanted something similar.

I have an Outdoor carbon. I was just curious if anyone on UU had seen one and played it.

...rinse it each time!

Has anyone seen or played one of the fiberglass Turtulele ukes that Amazon has on their site. It appears they are made in the Phillipines.

I just saw it on Amazon Canada. CAD$ 272. By reading description, I have very strong impression... they forgot to mention that tuners are solid titanium LOL :)

I prefer to have few cheaper ukes around, such as Enya HPL (around $100) or even cheaper laminate. Don't leave it under sun even if it is fiberglass, and rinse it each time after being near sea/ocean :)

I'm not crazy about the looks. At $80, the price is good, but nothing else about it appeals to me. I just looks like a uke with a lumpy back. Maybe if they had the turtle design on the front, and didn't make it matte black, it would be more appealing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ukulele-TU...rds=Turtulele&qid=1551784323&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Its interesting that it's fiberglass.
Maybe it will take the heat of a car better than abs and polycarb. Abs gets soft and warps, and polycarb/acrylic can craze in high heat.

Interesting concept, if they made it in a pineapple shape which would make it look more like a real turtle shell I'd be more interested. For a decent sounding weather resistant 'ukulele I'm totally satisfied with my Bugsgear Aqualele.

They do make them in a pineapple shape, but those are not black.

Looks kinda fun. No idea how fiber glass sounds as a build material. Could be good with the right resins. It does get brittle with age.

But for a travel, take it to the sea shore type instrument it could be good.

Not sure why intermediate players aren't invited? It's perfect for Kids, Beginners and Professionals...

I just saw it on Amazon Canada. CAD$ 272. By reading description, I have very strong impression... they forgot to mention that tuners are solid titanium LOL :)

I prefer to have few cheaper ukes around, such as Enya HPL (around $100) or even cheaper laminate. Don't leave it under sun even if it is fiberglass, and rinse it each time after being near sea/ocean :)

Amazon Canada seems to be the most expensive way to buy a cheap ukulele, doesn't it? :confused:

Last edited:
I noticed there also is a question about these on ukulele reviews section. Apparently nobody on UU has played one of these. I wonder why Amazon dose not carry any of the other colors?

I’ve played one. It didn’t sound so bad for what it was, but the intonation was awful.

Top Bottom