Wunderkammer owners, chime in!

Two years later: I just put my name on Liam's waiting list. I'm really keen on his instruments and after thinking about it for 2.5 years I finally sent him the deposit.

I just ordered a May soprano last month.
Delivery should be early next year 2021.
Love his builds. Really great craftsmanship and sound.
Christopher Davis-Shannon plays one. Look him up on YouTube.

I just ordered a May soprano last month.
Delivery should be early next year 2021.
Love his builds. Really great craftsmanship and sound.
Christopher Davis-Shannon plays one. Look him up on YouTube.

I’m also leaning towards May, but asked to keep my options open until it’s my turn. I really like both May and Ike and will probably spend the next 12 months agonising over which one to get. :D

Very nice Ludwig! (Ludvig is my middle name too!) Is this the May model? It looks very similar to Christopher Davis-Shannon's May from this video.

I love those instruments. They look beautiful and sound amazing

They sound great. I always wondered about the extended fingerboard with no frets. Sure, the absence of frets gives more room with less obstruction for picking there, but no extension at all would give more. Any thoughts on that design feature?
I can’t remember where, but I read somewhere that he does it simply because he thinks it looks nice. His 100th build however was made without the fretless part. (Probably one of the coolest ukes I’ve seen so far!)

Very nice Ludwig! (Ludvig is my middle name too!) Is this the May model? It looks very similar to Christopher Davis-Shannon's May from this video

Mine is a bit older and has the standard fretboard, I suppose. It was called "Maui" model back then and has more or less the same construction as the "Ike" (+ the vintage body shape and the Nunes headstock design, of course).

They sound great. I always wondered about the extended fingerboard with no frets. Sure, the absence of frets gives more room with less obstruction for picking there, but no extension at all would give more. Any thoughts on that design feature?

When I asked Liam about it, he said that in his opinion it just looked odd if a fretboard ended before the soundhole. And who ever needed more than 12 frets on a soprano? :p

I am the proud owner of one of Liam's "Boswell" tenors ... tuned re-entrant dGBE; it is wonderfully resonant. Video of Liam playing the Boswell here ...

Mine is a bit older and has the standard fretboard, I suppose. It was called "Maui" model back then and has more or less the same construction as the "Ike" (+ the vintage body shape and the Nunes headstock design, of course).

Does anyone have an idea of the difference in dimensions between the May and the Ike? Perhaps someone has played both and could offer thoughts on the differences in tone, volume, etc.

Top Bottom