Which baritone strings to try next?

Roguegaston

Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up a used Kala travel baritone and immediately replaced the old strings with Aquila Sugar strings. I liked how they felt and sounded, except for the squeaking that would just not go away. I then replaced the strings with some GHS made fluorocarbon's and I wish I hadn't. I really dislike how hard they feel. I dislike how thick and rough the wound strings are. The wound strings that came with the Sugar's were much better. I don't like how they sound. I have trouble baring where I was able to before with the Aquila Sugar strings.

Which strings should I try next? Do other Aquila's have the same wound strings? Should I go back to the Sugar's and try to do something about the squeaking?

Thanks!!!

Jason

Seems like you will need to do a bit of experimenting to find what you like. If the GHS florocarbons felt hard then most other florocarbon will as well, they are all thinner. The sugar strings will continue to squeak on you. If you liked the Aquila wound strings try their Red set or their Nylgut set. Another option is Daddario nylon baritone strings, nylon is thicker and softer then florocarbon.

I put Living Water fluorocarbon strings on mine, (no wound string, as I don't like them).

I used to have some D'Addario Titanium strings on a tenor, before finding Living Water, so they may work for you.

I like the middle strings of Thomastik-Infeld classical guitar set. Nice tone, wound strings with very little squeak.

Another vote for Living Waters, I love them.

Last night I put a set of the T-I CF35 and CF30 with Hannabach Goldin trebles(G forB and B for E). These sound much, much better than the RC nylon trebles I tried earlier. The only wood that seems to work with nylon, for me, is Mahogany.

Thank you for all the great tips! I ordered a set of Reds to try next and then on from there... ;)

Yep, since Dirk passed away, we're all back to looking at optimum strings again. So far it seems the T-I bass strings come closest to the Southcoast. Now to find the trebles to go with them. After these Hannabach I'm trying, Savarez Blue Alliance may be next

So far so good with the Reds. I like them better then the GHS made fluorocarbons.

Jason

I've been experimenting with strings for my Kimo bari and have tried quite a few sets in the past year. My favorite is Galli UX740 and 2nd favorite is Galli UX780. Both of these have wound D and G strings. I like them so much that I'm thinking about ending my experiment. They sound so good. They feel good. I have to force myself through 2-3 weeks with other sets for a legit assessment, but I always want to put Gallis back on.

Top Bottom