Water or Ukuleles

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Like most people in this area, I have well water. Yesterday morning, the pump, two hundred feet below the surface, decided to retire. After a couple of phone calls, a plumber came and took a look. Sure enough, the pump was dead. His crew will be arriving later to replace the pump and take almost $6,000 from me. :(

When I think of the ukuleles I could have bought...

Ouch!!!!! Been there, done that years ago. It was pricey but not quite what you will pay.
I also have a septic tank and may need to replace it this spring. Worse case scenario is $25k. I may just need to dig a new leach field and that won't be as expensive!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ouch!!!!! Been there, done that years ago. It was pricey but not quite what you will pay.
I also have a septic tank and may need to replace it this spring. Worse case scenario is $25k. I may just need to dig a new leach field and that won't be as expensive!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow! And ouch on steroids! Yikes. Hope the less preicey option works out for you

Like most people in this area, I have well water. Yesterday morning, the pump, two hundred feet below the surface, decided to retire. After a couple of phone calls, a plumber came and took a look. Sure enough, the pump was dead. His crew will be arriving later to replace the pump and take almost $6,000 from me. :(

When I think of the ukuleles I could have bought...

Wow! How deep is your well and how big a pump do you require? We had ours replaced 2 years ago. It's 127' deep and they put in a 1/2 hp pump. (But they should have installed a 3/4 hp pump.) They charged us $2300 for the job.

Good thing you guys don't live in Los Angeles with a sewer a problem. I had to replace about 100 feet of sewer line 18 months ago in my apartment building that in just under 30 years became completely filled with tree roots. Three days of temporary pipes so the tenants could use the bathrooms and kitchens. Had a special liner added to stop roots, needed to get permits to dig down in the ally 20 feet to get to the connection to the city sewer. Total was just under $48,000.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:

Just replaced our septic system with a home aeration unit (HAU). $10 grand. I could have bought 4 of those Konter ukes :)

Last edited:
Holy dihydrogen monoxide! $6,000 for a new pump? That sucks!

Holy dihydrogen monoxide! $6,000 for a new pump? That sucks!

And it's getting worse. As they were pulling the pump yesterday, the pipe broke, and the whole thing dropped about 35' into the casing. They have to bring in special equipment on Monday to try to fish it out. Monday will be another rainy day, so I hope they show up.

I feel for you :/
We had to have a new well drilled and hooked up for a house we were selling in 2001. The rig sunk a shaft 115' into bedrock granite and the whole job ran $6000 back then. Your tale makes me glad we have a dug well at our current home... replacing the pump can be done by a guy with a ladder.

I feel for you :/
We had to have a new well drilled and hooked up for a house we were selling in 2001. The rig sunk a shaft 115' into bedrock granite and the whole job ran $6000 back then. Your tale makes me glad we have a dug well at our current home... replacing the pump can be done by a guy with a ladder.

Hopefully, we'll have water today, but I'm not optimistic.

EDIT: The plumber just called. The two companies that have the equipment to pull the pump up are "closed for the holidays." They expect to be here Wednesday - maybe.

EDIT: Now it will be Thursday, maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom