Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bondi brand?

Default Bondi brand?

Anyone have any experience with this brand? Looks like it's gotten great reviews as far as customer service. Wondering about the quality of the ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by hollymichele View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this brand? Looks like it's gotten great reviews as far as customer service. Wondering about the quality of the ukes.
    I never heard of this brand before in my 10 yrs of playing ukulele, and I am aware of a great many brands of ukulele...

Do you have a link to the instrument in question, or a link to said reviews?
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    I never heard of this brand before in my 10 yrs of playing ukulele, and I am aware of a great many brands of ukulele...

Do you have a link to the instrument in question, or a link to said reviews?
    I just came across this brand a couple of days ago. It looks like they are a relatively newer brand, based in Australia. https://www.bondiukuleles.com/

Last edited by rickyfreeman; 12-28-2018 at 05:42 PM.

A few months ago, Bondi sent demo models to Katie DeNure at One Music School (see link above), Elise Ecklund, and Bernadette Teaches Music. These three channels have a significant following on YouTube for their unboxing and reviews, as well as their tutorials and other things. There are a couple of other "big" YouTube Channels, such as Cynthia Lin and The Ukulele Teacher--but they have not done many unboxings or reviews other than their own products (The Ukulele Teacher is a Kala Artist who recently released his own ukulele not with Kala (?), and Cynthia Lin has a Ohana model.

Got a Ukulele (Barry May) won't be reviewing Bondi as it is mail order only and cannot be bought in a store.

In addition to working on my own YouTube channel, I watch all of these other channels, plus some others (e.g. The Ukulele Site, Ukulele Underground)

While Bondi originally came as a starter ukulele with a kit of accessories for about $150; and the company is donating a model to a music education program in Cambodia for every ukulele that is purchased.

Since that time (I just looked at their website), they are also selling some "higher" models that I think are still laminate. Their Ziricote model looks awfully similar to Kala's...

The prices are a little on the high side for me; but if they are decent ukuleles and they're donating one for every model sold, that makes it more affordable. For example, the Concert Ziricote package was $249 (currently out of stock) while the Kala Ziritcote concert bundle sells for $239. I'd probably spend the $10 and try a Bondi and donate a ukulele at the same time.

P.S. Reviews by Elise Ecklund and Bernadette. Remember that these YouTube personalities audience is not typically represented here on the Ukulele Underground Forum (different audience).

Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by hollymichele View Post
    I have never heard any news about this brand before, but if you are looking for high quality but not expensive ukuleles, I'd highly recommend these ukuleles: https://www.strong-wind.com/ukuleles. There are many different sizes(soprano, concert and tenor) and different materials(Mahogany, Koa, Okume, etc) to meet your different needs for your taste. The most importantly, they have been working in designing, developing, manufacturing and selling musical instruments for almost 30 years ! How cool is that ?

Looks like another "brand" that is ordering bulk from the same Chinese factories as others and just slap their logo on it, along with design elements such as fret markers, rosettes, bridge shape that add a unique look. Their Ziricote ukes look a lot like Kala, Lanikai, Leho and others. The "Tuscan Sun" model is very similar to the Spalted Maple, Cedar top and Padauk binding ukes from Kala and Cordoba.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is truthfully advertised. The website has a lengthy text about the Australian owners of the company, but not so much about their products and who actually makes them (I didn't find any information about where they are manufactured). Personally, I'd rather go with the familiar brands who have been in the business for a while.

I have to say, Bondi has setup an operation very well, the web site, the branding, the charity, the stories (if they're valid, seems a little contrived, like they've been in business a long time but I've never heard of them). I see everyone of those products on eBay, available direct from China. Curious that Bondi doesn't mention point-of-origin anywhere.

The Chinese manufacturers/distributors have operations in place to add logos to their products, all part of the distribution to importers/retailers. I go to NAMM and cruise the Chinese manufacturer/distributor booths where they make a point of preparing their products for any kind of distribution. There's no doubt in my mind that Bondi is doing that, but planned out very well.

They obviously are following the 'millennials' pattern of starting a business with a charitable or magnanimous bent, as has been presented many times over on "Shark Tank," which I watch all the time.

Choirguy is right about the audience for Elise and Bernadette. Seeing Elise once is plenty enough for me, and watching people talk about boxes and accessories doesn't interest me at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the brand; they seem to have good customer support, and 12 years ago Kala started doing the same thing...importing ukuleles for sale to an American then global market. The same with Ohana (not sure what year Ohana started). I’d buy nearly any Kala or Ohana without a second thought (other than the Waterman & Ukeadelics which I’d avoid) provided that I ordered from a dealer that did setups.

I really like the Ziricote models (I fully understand they are all laminate) and I’d give the Bondi a chance.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the brand; they seem to have good customer support...
    I hope I wasn't coming off as dismissive, I commend them putting together their company, looks very good.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Thread Information