Bondi brand?

hollymichele

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this brand? Looks like it's gotten great reviews as far as customer service. Wondering about the quality of the ukes.

Anyone have any experience with this brand? Looks like it's gotten great reviews as far as customer service. Wondering about the quality of the ukes.

I never heard of this brand before in my 10 yrs of playing ukulele, and I am aware of a great many brands of ukulele...

Do you have a link to the instrument in question, or a link to said reviews?

I never heard of this brand before in my 10 yrs of playing ukulele, and I am aware of a great many brands of ukulele...

Do you have a link to the instrument in question, or a link to said reviews?

I just came across this brand a couple of days ago. It looks like they are a relatively newer brand, based in Australia. https://www.bondiukuleles.com/

A few months ago, Bondi sent demo models to Katie DeNure at One Music School (see link above), Elise Ecklund, and Bernadette Teaches Music. These three channels have a significant following on YouTube for their unboxing and reviews, as well as their tutorials and other things. There are a couple of other "big" YouTube Channels, such as Cynthia Lin and The Ukulele Teacher--but they have not done many unboxings or reviews other than their own products (The Ukulele Teacher is a Kala Artist who recently released his own ukulele not with Kala (?), and Cynthia Lin has a Ohana model.

Got a Ukulele (Barry May) won't be reviewing Bondi as it is mail order only and cannot be bought in a store.

In addition to working on my own YouTube channel, I watch all of these other channels, plus some others (e.g. The Ukulele Site, Ukulele Underground)

While Bondi originally came as a starter ukulele with a kit of accessories for about $150; and the company is donating a model to a music education program in Cambodia for every ukulele that is purchased.

Since that time (I just looked at their website), they are also selling some "higher" models that I think are still laminate. Their Ziricote model looks awfully similar to Kala's...

The prices are a little on the high side for me; but if they are decent ukuleles and they're donating one for every model sold, that makes it more affordable. For example, the Concert Ziricote package was $249 (currently out of stock) while the Kala Ziritcote concert bundle sells for $239. I'd probably spend the $10 and try a Bondi and donate a ukulele at the same time.

P.S. Reviews by Elise Ecklund and Bernadette. Remember that these YouTube personalities audience is not typically represented here on the Ukulele Underground Forum (different audience).

I have never heard any news about this brand before, but if you are looking for high quality but not expensive ukuleles, I'd highly recommend these ukuleles: https://www.strong-wind.com/ukuleles. There are many different sizes(soprano, concert and tenor) and different materials(Mahogany, Koa, Okume, etc) to meet your different needs for your taste. The most importantly, they have been working in designing, developing, manufacturing and selling musical instruments for almost 30 years ! How cool is that ? :cool::music:

Looks like another "brand" that is ordering bulk from the same Chinese factories as others and just slap their logo on it, along with design elements such as fret markers, rosettes, bridge shape that add a unique look. Their Ziricote ukes look a lot like Kala, Lanikai, Leho and others. The "Tuscan Sun" model is very similar to the Spalted Maple, Cedar top and Padauk binding ukes from Kala and Cordoba.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is truthfully advertised. The website has a lengthy text about the Australian owners of the company, but not so much about their products and who actually makes them (I didn't find any information about where they are manufactured). Personally, I'd rather go with the familiar brands who have been in the business for a while.

I have to say, Bondi has setup an operation very well, the web site, the branding, the charity, the stories (if they're valid, seems a little contrived, like they've been in business a long time but I've never heard of them). I see everyone of those products on eBay, available direct from China. Curious that Bondi doesn't mention point-of-origin anywhere.

The Chinese manufacturers/distributors have operations in place to add logos to their products, all part of the distribution to importers/retailers. I go to NAMM and cruise the Chinese manufacturer/distributor booths where they make a point of preparing their products for any kind of distribution. There's no doubt in my mind that Bondi is doing that, but planned out very well.

They obviously are following the 'millennials' pattern of starting a business with a charitable or magnanimous bent, as has been presented many times over on "Shark Tank," which I watch all the time.

Choirguy is right about the audience for Elise and Bernadette. Seeing Elise once is plenty enough for me, and watching people talk about boxes and accessories doesn't interest me at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the brand; they seem to have good customer support, and 12 years ago Kala started doing the same thing...importing ukuleles for sale to an American then global market. The same with Ohana (not sure what year Ohana started). I’d buy nearly any Kala or Ohana without a second thought (other than the Waterman & Ukeadelics which I’d avoid) provided that I ordered from a dealer that did setups.

I really like the Ziricote models (I fully understand they are all laminate) and I’d give the Bondi a chance.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the brand; they seem to have good customer support...

I hope I wasn't coming off as dismissive, I commend them putting together their company, looks very good.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Just for clarity...my comment about not being dismissive is just to contradict the posts that were saying, “Buy from a well known brand.”

I’m willing to give any company a chance—particularly if they are willing to stand behind a product. KoAloha, for both issues of sound and warranty, will continue to earn my money in the future! And there was a point that Pops was also the new kid on the block (and building with a new approach).

Bondi is leaning towards that YouTube generation as well as having a benevolent focus...Katie DeNure yesterday said that the purchase of a single ukulele leads to an entire classroom of instruction in Cambodia. If that’s the case; I’m in on one of those Bondi Ziricote models as soon as they are back in stock.

We’re very lucky—the demands of Kala, Lanikai, and Ohana have forced all the Eastern instrument builders to improve their products, resulting in a better experience for the other companies that undoubtedly buy from the same vendors.

There are still crummy ukuleles out there—but they are getting harder to find.

If you want to help the charity and are just buying the uke for charity, why not just send them a USD$250 payment for the charity in Cambodia?

Bill, that’s a pretty snarky answer. I don’t think I directly insulted you in this thread—and it takes some gumption to start telling other people what to do with their money.

You sound very angry about this company, and I don’t understand your anger. Are you also angry at Tom’s shoes, which donates a pair for every pair that has been bought?

I’ll just leave it that I’ve been considering a Ziricote for two years, and if, for $10 more, I can get a import ukulele of the same quality as the Kala but also contribute to a cause, it’s a win-win.

I never played any of these, so I can't speak as to the quality. I assume that they are decent enough.

However, looking at their website - the alledged standard prices puts me off. They claim that everything is a special half price offer. Unless they are way better than you would expect for asian build laminates, they never sold at the "standard price", and them writing that price makes me lose trust in the company.

They might have good costumer service, but what looks like false markering still puts me off.

Last edited:
Just for clarity...my comment about not being dismissive is just to contradict the posts that were saying, “Buy from a well known brand.”

That was my comment, and I'm sticking with it for several reasons.

It may be interesting for experienced players/buyers like yourself to explore a new "brand" first hand, and it will be interesting for the Ukulele community to read your review about them. But it may not be the best way to go for an inexperienced newcomer, as we know nothing yet about their quality control, their customer service, and most importantly: their setup. Therefore, I think it is safer for beginners to go with an established brand that is known for quality control and to buy it from a store that does a uke-specific setup.

I'd imagine that some of the "pioneering" brands have invested a lot into establishing communication channels, developing these models and tuning in quality control, so it seems somewhat unfair to me when others jump onto their bandwagon and just slap their label onto it.

For the same reason, I don't think it is valid to compare this type of enterprise to a company like KoAloha, who did not just copy from an existing brand (or worse: bulk order from their stock), but has invented their very own, unique product. Moreover, KoAloha has set up their own shop which everyone can visit, so we know exactly where their products come from and who makes them, whereas we know nothing about working conditions or sustainability issues in these Chinese factories.

Instead of donating to some random charity, therefore, I would prefer these companies to invest in fair working conditions and sustainable ressources, making sure there is no child labor involved in their production lines.

Again, this is just my own personal take on this, and I'm looking forward to reviews from you or others about the Bondi brand. Still, I don't see much to win here: Best case is that you get an ukulele that is just as good as a Kala, Lanikai or Cordoba, for about the same price (but probably less resale value due to the unknown brand name).

I notice the Tuscan Sun tenor looks a pretty close match to the Cordoba 24T... some slight differences, but body trim and shape, including the curved back, look identical. The fretboard extension shape .. the rosette ... all the same. I'd guess they were by the same factory just rebranded for Bondi instead of Cordoba and given a few changes.

... ...The prices are a little on the high side for me; but if they are decent ukuleles and they're donating one for every model sold, that makes it more affordable. ...
They are reportedly donating to Cambodia. Probably so, but how to know? Also, what grade of ukes are they donating, I wonder. Despite my skeptical questions, I wish that Aussie company good success with their ukulele business. I never met an Aussie I didn't like.

Geez you wouldn't think UU is saturated with patriotic Americans would you?

I was hoping to find some good objective information about Bondi Ukulele but this thread is filled with very thinly veiled complaints about their (assumed) business practices - which from what I am reading (if true) it reflect those of the "trusted name brands" that are being referred to!

All a bit hypocritical if you ask me!

I Googled the Anuenue T4 tenor model, and ran across them being sold at the Bondi website bondiukulele.com along with lots of other Anuenue models, Bondi branded ukes, as well as a few Flights, Romero and even Ohana, Kala and Cordoba.n Their website lists them as being located in both AU, as well as WI in the US.

I know nothing else about them, but thought it strange that they had so many Anuenue models for sale, when other Anuenue dealers, including TUS and AnuenueUSA were sold out of those models. Maybe they bought a boatload of them, and still have good stock, although their prices seem quite a bit higher than TUS or AnuenueUSA.

Top Bottom