side markers

rickyfreeman

Reaction score
I ordered a mainland tenor which I have had about 10 days. I am enjoying it. But I miss it not having side markers. Is there an easy way to put some on? I am thinking about using nail polish or maybe acrylic paint. Would either of these harm the instrument? Or is there a better way?

I ordered a mainland tenor which I have had about 10 days. I am enjoying it. But I miss it not having side markers. Is there an easy way to put some on? I am thinking about using nail polish or maybe acrylic paint. Would either of these harm the instrument? Or is there a better way?

I've used a Sharpie marker to make the dots.

Yes the dots will eventually rub off, but easy to restore.

Sharpies are cheap and come in various colors too.

If you decide later to remove the dots for any reason, rubbing alcohol is an easy solvent and should not harm the wood unless you drench the wood with the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is also known as "isopropyl alcohol" or "iso" in some circles and also cheap and easily available.

If you're willing to do some surgery, I've added markers by drilling small holes in the side of the fretboard and gluing in fret marker material - which is then cut flush with the surface. It sounds difficult, but it's really easy to do, and looks great when you're finished.

But if you want really simple, the only thing I've found that lasts more than a few weeks is to use Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Pens, Extra Fine, in black or white.

51vBhMejLTL._SX679_.jpg

Several ways to make fret markers. I had a Kala sticker that someone gave me. Took a hole punch and made myself some dots and put it on my Mainland. They lasted at least two years before they fell of. By then the Mainland wasn't new anymore so I took a drill to it. I drilled some holes about a sixteenth of and inch deep where I wanted the markers, the same size bit as a Bella C string, then used superglue to stick pieces of an old string in the holes. Next day I cut them off with a razor. I don't think that a custom luthier could have done a better job. It was easy. Anyway, a sharpie, holes punched out of a sticker, fingernail polish, drilling and filling, your imagination is the limit. Shouldn't be an issue. But I've always wondered why Mainlands don't have them. They are such nice instruments.

Last edited:
I use tooth picks, an awl and some super glue. Works like a charm.
3DBAB3A2-813C-4BB8-BD3A-5A92ED0360AA.jpg506AE701-6B59-4126-B70C-04AFC93AE40E.jpgF42B6770-885A-484C-A538-61457B073480.jpg

Even though my mainland is no longer new, I haven't wanted to drill holes in it, nor adorn it with tacky tape or nail polish. So I have a silver sharpie to make circle side markers. I think this color is often used for signing CDs. Well it doesn't last very long, and rubs off easily but it actually looks quite beautiful and blends in with the fret markers on the front. I agree. Why doesn't mainland make them part of their build design? Maybe they don't expect anybody to go past the third fret.

I've used a Sharpie marker to make the dots.

Yes the dots will eventually rub off, but easy to restore.

Sharpies are cheap and come in various colors too.

If you decide later to remove the dots for any reason, rubbing alcohol is an easy solvent and should not harm the wood unless you drench the wood with the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is also known as "isopropyl alcohol" or "iso" in some circles and also cheap and easily available.

I would be concerned that the rubbing alcohol (solvent) might cause harm to the finish.

How about putting a fret decal close enough to the edge it can be seen to the side.

Ricky, there's a place online called Gollihur Music that specializes in upright bass and other stringed instruments, and they offer packs of "peel-n-stick" fingerboard side markers at a very affordable price. I have used them, and they do the job nicely, and hold up well!

this question has been asked many times . Do a search here on this site and you will find all the answers.
I've done it a few ways , drilling and filling , and the latest was a rub on dot , the rub on one worked great, I did one dot at the 5th fret and that works for me.

Pete, I think you have a good point. Many players (me included) don't often wander up past the seventh fret or so; so having just one little dot on the side of the fifth fret serves as a simple and reliable "landmark" for a lot of folks. That seems to be an effective location if a person is considering the single-dot approach.

I've used stick-on fret markers often that I buy from Jockomo in Japan, lots of styles and sizes, good prices and fast shipping. I have no affiliation with Jockomo at all, just like their products.

https://www.inlaystickers.com/products/small-custom-dots-1-8-for-fret-side-markers

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I've used stick-on fret markers often that I buy from Jockomo in Japan, lots of styles and sizes, good prices and fast shipping. I have no affiliation with Jockomo at all, just like their products.

https://www.inlaystickers.com/products/small-custom-dots-1-8-for-fret-side-markers

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Thanks, Mike! And please say hi to your Uncle Bud Jockomo for me... JUST KIDDING !!!!!! Seriously, though, I have purchased a few things from Jockomo too, and been very satisfied!

Top Bottom