Duplicate Martin

It's probably a Nazareth build, but I can't find anything online that says that. Anyone have one to check what the label says?

Watch the 2nd video I posted above. It very clearly shows Konter Ukes on the assembly line in Nazareth, and at 0:15 you can see in the sound hole that the Nazareth stamp is visible under the sticker.

Scooter

According to the specs on GC, it's built in the USA.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/Konter-Ukulele.gc

Features

Body
Body type: Soprano Uke
Cutaway: No
Top wood: Koa
Back & sides: Koa
Bracing pattern: 1/4" Sitka Spruce
Body finish: Satin
Neck
Neck shape: Soprano Ukulele- Standard Taper
Nut width: 1-13/32"
Fingerboard: East Indian Rosewood
Neck wood: Solid Mahogany
Scale length: 16.614"
Number of frets: 12 Fret
Neck finish: Satin
Electronics
Pickup/preamp: No
Other
Headstock overlay: Mahogany
Tuning machines: Pegheads Black Planetary Gear
Bridge: Koa
Saddle & nut: Compinsated Black Tusq/ Black Tusq
Number of strings: 4
Special features: Paper Label signed by Clarence Williams (See Copy)
Case: Hardshell
Accessories: None
Country of origin: US

Scooter

Unless there is some deficiency about Martin ukes from Mexico that has escaped the "Holy Requirements Committee", I'd think that this Konter uke would still be just fine to anyone who has played it.

I have played a whole bunch of the CK-1 and TK-1 ukes of friends at uke jams, and all of these were made in Mexico, and all were fine examples of a Martin uke.

I think maybe the $2,500 price tag is causing lots of resentment and some folks might just be adding to the churn for it's own sake. This is also a form of trolling.

If it's not in your budget, that's just fine, and there are thousands of cheaper alternatives.

Similarly, if the historical significance of the instrument does not appeal to you, again, there are thousands of alternate choices.

If someone were to rain on this parade, it might be prudent to have a good look in the mirror instead.

The rest of us can enjoy the fact that Martin is a part of ukulele history, and continues to share that history with us in new products, some of which are a tribute to interesting things that happened before some of us were even born.

Unless there is some deficiency about Martin ukes from Mexico that has escaped the "Holy Requirements Committee", I'd think that this Konter uke would still be just fine to anyone who has played it.

I have played a whole bunch of the CK-1 and TK-1 ukes of friends at uke jams, and all of these were made in Mexico, and all were fine examples of a Martin uke.

I think maybe the $2,500 price tag is causing lots of resentment and some folks might just be adding to the churn for it's own sake. This is also a form of trolling.

If it's not in your budget, that's just fine, and there are thousands of cheaper alternatives.

Similarly, if the historical significance of the instrument does not appeal to you, again, there are thousands of alternate choices.

If someone were to rain on this parade, it might be prudent to have a good look in the mirror instead.

The rest of us can enjoy the fact that Martin is a part of ukulele history, and continues to share that history with us in new products, some of which are a tribute to interesting things that happened before some of us were even born.

I agree with everything you’ve said here. Threads like this are why I don’t bother to post very often and why if I were to find the means to buy one of these Ukes, I probably wouldn’t be inclined to post about it here. I only chime in on things that I really like or am interested in and have never jumped into a thread just to expound my dislike for something that someone else enjoys. I love both vintage and modern Martin Ukes and guitars, including those made in their Mexico facility.

Anyway... I may be going to the factory on Friday with a friend of mine who’s taking his ‘67 D-35 in for a neck reset and I hope to be able to play a couple of these while I’m there.

Scooter

Last edited:
Yes, I see the Nazareth stamp at 0:15 in the video. Is that a reproduction feature? Just kidding, my only point is if it's a Mexico build the profit margin is huge compared to the margin if it's a Pennsylvania build. quality wise I think the Mexico Martins are as good as any ukulele in the world. My T1K is on par with my Kamaka in my opinion.

Top Bottom