Duplicate Martin

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Konter afford it. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
I got the book for Christmas and I’ve actually held and played the Konter Uke at the Martin Museum. If I had the money, I would already own the “remake” model.

Scooter

Thanks! I would love to have this.

I can easily imagine this becoming a polarizing topic.

It seems like a nice ukulele.

However, I am not the segment for this.
I dont own ukes at this price level. I could probably affort them if I prioriticed, but I prefer to worry less about damaging while playing.

However, if I some day want to buy a $2500 uke, there are a whole lot of beautiful ukes I would buy before one with replicas of autographs on it.

The segment for this uke is people who will not only pay 2500 for a main or secondary uke to play, but also for a collectors item. I am sure it plays great, but to play I would prefer one without the faux autographs.

Last edited:
Are the signatures the main draw for the uke?

It’s really a combination of the signatures and the history that they represent. I find it fascinating that this instrument is literally the only non-mission critical artifact to go on the Byrd expedition, survive that mission and then tour the world collecting autographs from some of the most significant people of that era. The fact that it still survives to this day, completely intact as a playable instrument is in itself remarkable.

The processes used to uncover, identify, verify and duplicate the signatures (without harming the Uke in any way) is likewise remarkable. I very much want to own one of these, not just to “collect” but to take out and play at meetings, performances and events. What a conversation piece!

Scooter

Last edited:
The processes used to uncover, identify, verify and duplicate the signatures (without harming the Uke in any way) is likewise remarkable. I very much want to own one of these, not just to “collect” but to take out and play at meetings, performances and events. What a conversation piece!

There is info on the signatures here

https://www.si.edu/MCIImagingStudio/KonterUke

I don't know if I would pay the price to buy a Martin Konter replica. However if someone were to give me one, I wouldn't refuse it. (Are you listening Ukulele Magazine?)

Last edited:
I'd guess it wont be bought for sound quality. It will be the novelty. Replica's like old Stratocasters are not my domain. The originals sound better and you could get better for the price. Martin will continue to over build ukuleles that do not have the lightness and punch of the old ones.

From the video it sounds like my S1 did.

Buy a Timms and sketch the names on and you'll be closer. :) Oh, and better off even at the current prices.

Last edited:
I think my Christmas expenses have got me frozen out of that offer. 😂

I might consider buying the original at that price, but a copy is just a copy. You can buy a new Martin soprano for under $500. All that laser etching isn't worth $2,000 to me.

The first post does not indicate if Jerry has ordered one yet. I am happy to admit that I am not interested, but for those who are, you are allowed to enjoy this model uke just as much as other enjoy lower cost ukes.

We're in the process of replacing a car that was totaled and fixing our broken well pump for $6,000 or more. No more ukes for quite a while.

I might consider buying the original at that price, but a copy is just a copy. You can buy a new Martin soprano for under $500. All that laser etching isn't worth $2,000 to me.

Where can you buy a new Nazareth built Martin for under $500?

Scooter

Last edited:
Where can you buy a new Nazareth built Martin for under $500?

Scooter

It's probably a Nazareth build, but I can't find anything online that says that. Anyone have one to check what the label says?

Top Bottom