Low D Whistle

The Low D that I play was made by Pat O’Riordon. I also own his traveler set which includes C, D, and Eb whistles also a Low G and Rosewood D whistle. Don’t play them much anymore and thought of selling them, but decided to pass them along to grandkids when they get a little older and show interest in them.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Shaw low D, but I gave it to my daughter. In my old age, I just didn’t have enough wind to play it. My daughter just keeps it for a keepsake — probably a wallhanger.

I have a low G too. I can still play it though a bit windily.

Old age is hell on lungs — ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Hello, Dick, I started out with a load of the cheap ones, but they are all too high for my likings.

So I got a low 'G' too, I then got a pre used low/mezzo 'A' & really liked it so got a better one, but then decided I should have a low 'D', just like real whistle players have, so I got myself a Howard, (made in Sheffield).

Keep playing yours, my friend, to keep the wind strength up.

Nah! I don’t play my whistles much any more. If I wanna play Celtic, I use my Irish banjo or my mandolin or one of my flutes. My concert flute is still playable, but my alto needs an overhaul.

I’ve been playin’ Celtic music for years. :eek:ld:

I've been playing a lot of whistle lately but I don't have a low D. Low F is as low as I'm really comfortable with and I use right hand pinky with that. I have an Eb NAF/whistle hybrid that I play that way too but it is a bit unwieldy.

I have a Casey Burns Irish Folk Flute made of African Blackwood I would like to sell if anyone is interested

Off the subject, but I have a little Generation high F, and boy is it fun to play. It’s my favorite whistle, and I don’t usually care for high pitched instruments.

It’s easy to play, and it, with two fingers of Kilbeggen, always makes for a good time. :eek:ld:

Never tried a low D, but I dabble with the high D. Actually, I have discovered the Native American Flute. They multiply, just like guitars and ukes (I have 7). :rolleyes:

My friend Steafan has co-written a book on Low Whistle. Steafan's wife Saskia plays fiddle in our jug band, but often plays Irish Trad with their family band, Clan Hannigan. Steafan also plays bodhran, uilleann pipes, guitar, mandolin, bouzouki and anything else he gets his hands on.

Yes, I have a low D and have played many. Mine is a WD Sweet, Onyx. It’s an absolutely lovely instrument. I’ve played whistle for over 20 years and it is my main instrument. I own whistles in every key from low C to high Eb. I play them at church with some of our worship teams. I’ve found it to be a very versatile instrument that can play all styles of music and can be quite expressive. Have fun! If you have specific questions shoot me a message....meanwhile the suggestion of chiff and whistle is excellent.

Top Bottom