Season 359 - "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score

Let me firstly say to anyone who started watching the intro vid and was instantly put off by me singing, I stop very quickly so you might want to go back and try again! :p

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" was a 1979 UK no.1 for Ian Dury and the Blockheads, and provides a great tagline for my theme for this week:

I would like you to play any songs with a percussion backing all or most of the way through. This can be anything from a tapping foot, to a metronome, to a friend shaking a tambourine or even playing a full drum kit as long as it’s clearly audible. There are also a good few drum machine phone apps out there with a whole load of options – often free and easy to use. I use Drum Beats+ - Loopz is another one worth looking at.

No more than one song a day please, and ukulele (either 4 or 8 string) to be the main instrument.

Collaborations and multi-tracking are fine.

Song choice is entirely yours but I'd love to hear some originals and I’d particularly like to hear some more covers of other seasonistas’ originals.

As usual the season will last for 8 days - start posting from the morning of Sunday 30th December (which also happens to be a certain headless Seasonista's birthday btw) through to and including the whole of Sunday 6th January.

I'll post comments on YouTube for all entries and would encourage you all to comment as much as possible too please.

I'll add a playlist to the bottom of this post as soon as we're under way.

There’ll be just one winner, chosen entirely subjectively on merit by me, who will receive a custom-made t-shirt to commemorate their victory.

Let me know if I've missed anything!

Most of all – have fun! And a Happy New Year to you all!

PLAYLIST

And here's the late, great Ian Dury to show me how it's done:

And don't forget Randy's 1930s season still has over a day to run so you still have time to add another song or two to his trove!

Last edited:
bang a gong!!!!!!!!!!! great theme idea! i do have a korg kr mini drum machine... but i might try some old school DIY percussion, which i'm actually hopeless at, but this is a great week to inflict it on people! :p

You have found my kryptonite sir...but I am off to practice! I got this.
For now... I was always in awe of how well Tina did this way back in season 23

Last edited:
My effects pedal has a drum machine on it but inexplicably there's no metronomic bass drum effect. So I enlisted Louise and Nathan who did not want to be in shot. The wheels came off a bit towards the end because Nathan went rogue and they only agreed to one take but here it is.

A bit of slap stick. To the Tune of Five Foot Two................

Last edited:
Took your advice Del, and downloaded Loopz for my phone. Hours of fun.

I've been hearing this song a lot lately in Apple TV commercials. Not usually an Elvis fan, but this is a good one. I "drummed" with my synth keyboard, using a standard kit. The photos are random pics that I've taken over the years.

I have some songs I used for a solo set at an open stage, that I've made some drumtracks for with my Digitech Trio+. This is one of them, Forever Young by Alphaville, I recorded it all live with my Zoom Multitrack recorder and added that to the Video Track.
The effects on my Ukulele are from a Zoom G1on, which is a great effect pedal for it's price..

Last edited:
Here's a Doug Kershaw song I've been wanting to try for awhile that I hope meets your criteria Del. This was real hard work to attempt I found out quick, couldn't do many takes on it. So hard in fact you can see spit on my lip at the end. lol

Last edited:
Ahoy everybody and merry christmas and happy holidays.

I enlisted my daughter to help me here but she recently started to study drumming.
I did a song that I have done before so if you want to know what the lyrics mean then you have to watch the other one because I put subtitles on that one; I could not do that today because I don't have the time.
Here is the song 'Snert Hörpu Mína' or 'Touch my Harp'

Also, I hope that every person to ever play a musical instrument has seen this bit of joy. Best 16 seconds ever recorded. Melissa countered with a hard no when I suggested a similar kitchen session.

Top Bottom