Season 359 - "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"

I was wearing my foot tambourine, which is Guitar Center's name for a rattle that fits on your foot. I didn't quite get it right-- I was always tapping my foot on the downbeat instead of working it in where it should have gone. But I enjoyed trying!

Happy New Year’s, guys. I had way too much fun with this video.

Great stuff guys - keep them coming!

Special New Years Day announcement - the one song per day restriction is TEMPORARILY lifted for the NEXT 24 HOURS ONLY starting from the time of this post. I realise this will favour some time zones more than others - apologies for not announcing this earlier but I’ve only just thought of it! Have fun - and Happy New Year! :D

New Day, New Year - an original by MP.

Del you asked me to write a new original, so yesterday afternoon I found myself recording this new song. I always get a bit blue around new year and that is what this song is about. 'New Day, New Year'. Happy New Year everyone!

NB. If anyone should wonder about the drum beats, then Logic has an amazing drum loop editor with lots of choices and customisations.

Last edited:
So I asked my non musical wife if she would clap along with this song this morning, and she seemed quite apprehensive, and was also starting to cook a turkey. A few minutes later she came back downstairs here and said Ok, I'll do it, but it's basically now or never, so I hastily got things ready, and this is the very first take. Just for you Del, percussion all the way thru the song!

Hi, Del! As I predicted, I have absolutely NO sense of rhythm, so for the purposes of this video, my pathetic attempts are reduced to a level where they are just about audible. You will, however, agree that, being about a hammer, this is a VERY percussive song!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

Open A7 tuning for some improv blues over some beats
To get open A7, tune the 3rd string up a tone so when you play
all 4 strings it sounds a A7 chord... then bar at 5th fret for D7 and the 7th fret for E7
Get you big fat leg off of me.

I Know What It's Like - Jeff Tweedy

I had a big grin when I saw the theme of this season. I just recently bought a MIDI drum pad, but hadn't found the time to really noodle around with it yet. Well, this season gave me a great excuse to give it a go. This is from Wilco front man Jeff Tweedy's 2018 alum WARM.

Last edited:
Excellent them Del, I had a great time working with this rhythm track. Happy New Year to you and to all the Seasonistas! This is a tune I recently learned based on Ry Cooder's Buena Vista Social Club album. It's a pretty famous song in Cuba, and there are a lot of great versions out there, which I encourage you to explore ~

Last edited:
I took YorkSteve's approach and played along to a drum loop on my ipad in real time. Thanks Del for the idea.With a bit of practice this is could be a useful bit of kit.

Here's a David Allan Coe song from the 80's I've been wanting to try. I used a beat off the Loopz app here.

This is a song I play a lot called Sleep Like a Baby Tonight by U2 (who else ;)), I added a shaker egg (in my hand) and Foot Tambourine while playing, and had some fun with plugins in the post processing (the synthy sounds). Playing Foot Tambourine is not easy as you need to keep your foot still when you don't want to hear any sound. I sort of succeeded on that part.

Last edited:
Season 359. Submission 1. "Once In A Very Blue Moon" (Written by Patrick Alger and Eugene Levine, 1984)

This is the title song from Nanci Griffith's 3rd album (1984) and has also been recorded by
Dolly Parton, Mary Black and Chris Smither.

Thank you for hosting, Del, and your fine theme.

Well, there's not a whole lot of shakin' goin' on here, but I did use a shaker in the bridge. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom