Season 359 - "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"

Here's some Nirvana

Is it bad that I'm considering going out and spending my birthday money on a cajon tomorrow purely for the purposes of this season?

Bon Any Nou from Catalunya!

It has been a hectic week, but I have managed to get this one in. It was written for FAWM 2018, so Pa, at least, will be familiar with this one. It is an attempt to write an anthem for all of us undiscovered songwriters out there.

As my bodhran playing friend was unavailable (and that's how I heard this in my head) I had to recruit Band in a Box to do the bodhran and the bass.

Hope you like it.

Oh no,not Folsom Bloody Prison Bloody Blues again ......:confused:

I have a Yamaha MOX6 synthesizer, but usually I just use it to plug a uke through it and simulate guitar pedal effects. It has thousands of drum rhythms in it, so I did some messing around with them, but I'm not saving them properly. Every time I try to come back to one that I set up the way I wanted, it wasn't there anymore and I had to start from scratch. Finally, I figured "Let's just see what the preset performances that come with the machine sound like". I found one that sounded like Steely Dan's "Do It Again". Huh. What's the name of that one? "Jack Does It Again". Ooookay, then. I have Steely Dan sheet music. Let's just do that one. I had to change the key from Gm to Dm, because I can't sing as high as Donald Fagin. So at the start of the video, I'm just hitting a low D key and letting the arpeggiator do its thing.

bruce rutherford said he'd like to see the container-drum that i used in my "heart beat" vid, so here is another vid, using it!

N.B. i said back then, that it was a fabric softener container, however, i now realise it is actually a liquid detergent container. i think we can safely say that, unless it's a uke, cbg, or a t rex album, i don't really play proper attention to anything! :rolleyes: i realise that what with this, and the fact that my tambourine isn't green, i have been a purveyor of fake news all week, soz!

"missing you"

The Platters had a hit with this in 1955, and Ringo Starr had a hit with this in 1974.
I used a shaker and a rhythm-box thing that I bought at this year's Milwaukee Ukulele Festival.

Okay guys - barely halfway through the week and we have 45 songs already - you’re spoiling me with some wonderful performances and a plethora of percussive perfection (try saying that after a couple of shandies!). ;)

Really sad to see that a couple of vids have been deleted or made unavailable on YT - any chance they can be re-posted please? I’d really appreciate it!

If I’ve missed anything off the playlist or not posted any YT comments do please let me know - it’s entirely unintentional but I am only human!

Thank you all - you’re amazing! :)

Here's some Nirvana

Is it bad that I'm considering going out and spending my birthday money on a cajon tomorrow purely for the purposes of this season?

Well,the advantage of a cajon is that: A) You at least always have a seat at crowded Open Mics :D , B) You get to play more than your own set if people want some rhythm and percussion. :agree: C) You have just reminded me that I have one in my shed ...a cardboard one....which I must get out forthwith !!! :iwant:

Got the drum track here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDBJp_B5qQ
Red and white Triumph Scrambler is my current bike. Rigid tail Harley belongs to my son.

I have considered the Triumph Scrambler, but have always been dubious about the pipes being so close to your leg....me only having little legs the angle of dangle would put the little chubbers close to the pipe...do they not gt a bit burny ??

I have considered the Triumph Scrambler, but have always been dubious about the pipes being so close to your leg....me only having little legs the angle of dangle would put the little chubbers close to the pipe...do they not gt a bit burny ??

Not yet. Only had about 5 or 6 rides so far. My leg doesn't touch at all. The shields get warm but not 'hot'. It's a great ride. Not super powerful or fast which makes it licence friendly.

Original written for this season. There is baritone uke on this some where. Apologies for the badly behaved Jester.

I don’t go anywhere
Without my little drum machine
It never lets me down
My little drum machine

It doesn’t criticise
Cos it’s my little drum machine
It never tells me lies
My little drum machine.

My little drum machine and me
That’s how it always going to be

We are inseparable
Me and my little drum machine
It never drops a beat
Yes it’s my little drum machine.

It just plays and plays and plays
My little drum machine
It works on AAs
It’s my little drum machine.

Last edited:
So a while after Leona Lewis won the UK X-Factor she released an album. My (then) partner raved about her, so I bought the CD for her. I joked to the guy in the record shop that I was a little embarrassed to be seen buying it - he smiled a little knowing smile and told me I should listen to it. So I did - and it was bloody brilliant! And this one is still my favourite track.

(As an aside, I’ve just started dabbling with uke amplification and effects. Santa brought me a little effects pedal - it’s an Ammoon Pockrock - really impressed! And it also has 40 different drum rhythms on board. Using it here with one of the preset patches and some hall reverb. If you can keep watching to the end I hold it up to the camera.)

Not yet. Only had about 5 or 6 rides so far. My leg doesn't touch at all. The shields get warm but not 'hot'. It's a great ride. Not super powerful or fast which makes it licence friendly.

Cheers Pa, Ill get me a brochure.

Top Bottom