Season 359 - "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"

Hello everyone! I'm new to the UU forums and this is my very first Seasons of the Ukulele submission.

Below camera level I'm using a Boss RC-1 loop station to loop some fingerpicking, then the percussive sounds on the body of my uke.

Thanks to Del for hosting, what a great theme!

Happy New Year to you, Graham ... hope you had a good holiday!

Another song from me, Del, in which I do some percussive tap dancing! (Well, actually, I "borrowed" the tap dancing because I have never tap danced in my life ... it sort of fits, though!). Elmann did a great cover of this one for the 1930s Season, which reminded me that it has great rhythm ... unfortunately, I don't!

NEWSFLASH

No limits on the number of songs posted for the next 24 hours - starting from the time/date of this post!

Here's a 2007 Paul McCartney song. Percussion includes my wood-box-tam-thing, a shaker, clapping, and synth keyboard drum kit.

sadly it's not quite big enough to use as a side table... but i could do with a side table.................... maybe i should buy a cajon!

Well, that is obviously the answer! And if you find you get tired of just resting your mug on it, you might discover that it has strange percussive properties!

Well, that is obviously the answer! And if you find you get tired of just resting your mug on it, you might discover that it has strange percussive properties!
:rock:

NEWSFLASH

No limits on the number of songs posted for the next 24 hours - starting from the time/date of this post!
all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!! :cheers:

i was watching a couple of top of the pop special programmes last night on bbc4, one about the music of 1987, and the other just non-stop songs from the show that year... the pal i was with said, "my best mate bought the album this song was on, and when i first heard the recording, i thought the drumming sounded like someone hitting a table with a rolled up newspaper"

and so................................. i give you...............................

"china in my hand" by t'pau, baritone uke, and hitting a table with a rolled up newspaper

:rock:
"my best mate bought the album this song was on, and when i first heard the recording, i thought the drumming sounded like someone hitting a table with a rolled up newspaper"

A while ago for percussion I ripped pages out of a telephone directory.
Not a new idea... I saw it first on an acoustic version of Neon Bible
by Arcade fire (the elevator version)

Great theme! Here is "Bear Dance" with some antler shaking:

Happy New Year Seasonistas! The thread for Season 360 is up and running. Remember, no submissions until midnight Hawaii time on 6 Jan. Until then there are something like 30 hours left to Del's season.

See you over in Season 360!

Happy 2019 everyone! The old shaker egg trick at work here on a Phil Alvin song I've done in other seasons.

Here's another from me. Two tunes I wrote played on my wooden flute accompanied with a Bruko tenor ukulele tuned dGBE and more accompaniment, including the necessary drums but also some piano and bass courtesy of my Yamaha electronic keyboard.

An exercise to see if everything works. A song I memorized, for some reason. The new uke is a Vorson electric tenor, which I had just unboxed, tuned, and plugged in.

Sunny

This one took me a few days to sort out and practice. Had to make my own arrangement as the ones I could find just didn't sound quite right on the ukulele. Took some inspiration in the various funky jazz guitar versions on youtube of Bobby Hebb's famous hit 'Sunny' but kept the vocal part as well. Hope you like it.

After getting kicked out of the Clash in the early 80s, drummer Topper Headon made a few solo recordings. The percussion backing for my uke video is Headon's all-percussion track "East Vs. West." The song is his single, "Leave It To Luck."

Thanks, pabrizzer, for the idea of just grabbing percussion from YouTube!

Top Bottom