2 requests concerning string buzz

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a baritone where string #3 has a very teeny buzz, off & on, when played open or fretted at fret #1. This baritone is tuned to A so #3 is my A string.

Fret #1 is not high. That is, all frets are at same height.

I notice that string #3 sits a teeny bit lower on the nut than the other strings.

This barry is now strung with Aquila Baritone Sugars. The #3 is a wound string.

I have 1 thing I want to try before taking this uke to a set-up tech. Namely, I think it *might* help if I switched to a #3 string from a set that is high tension &/or includes a fatter #3 string.

TWO REQUESTS:
1- Point me to a string set that is high tension &/or includes a fatter #3.
2- If there is another possible way to fix this, before going to a set-up tech, please tell me what it is.

You could try a small thickness of paper in the nut slot to see if raising it a tad helps. You might want to check the 2nd fret as well if you're getting the buzz fretting at the first.

For fatter strings, there's always unwound.

You could try a small thickness of paper in the nut slot to see if raising it a tad helps. You might want to check the 2nd fret as well if you're getting the buzz fretting at the first.
Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would spot this thread. I shall give the nut shim a try. If this works, can I leave it there as a semi-permanent fix?

For fatter strings, there's always unwound.
Since nylon is thicker than fluorocarbon, I think nylon would be better. Agree?

So far all the baritone uke nylon sets I have looked at have a wound 3rd. I have a Seacoast Light Medium Gauge Linear set with an unwound #3 but I hate breaking that set. Besides, the #3 looks rather small -- it might be carbon.

Ergo, I'm considering using a string from a classic guitar set. I have on hand a D'Addario EJ45 Pro Arte set. The unwound strings are 1, 2, & 3. Here are their specs (gauges in inches; tension in pounds):

J4501 E 0.028 16.230 clear nylon
J4502 B 0.0322 12.040 clear nylon
J4503 G 0.0403 11.880 clear nylon

Which (if any) of these would you try first?

I don't see why not. If it works, it works. :)

Unwound flourocarbons are still thicker than wound. Since you like A tuning, one idea is to use a low G *tenor* set. I did that with the Living Water set on a Bruko baritone and it worked great. But there are others that should also work - Worth brown or clear for example.

If you want to try the nylon, use the thickest one. I have a similar string at Bb on a 19" guilele, so it should be in the ballpark for an A. The other two will be way too floppy.

There could be multiple issues at play. A change in humidity could warp the neck ever so slightly. Worn frets.

However, my experience after numerous years of playing is that if a wound string starts buzzing the culprit so far has always been a worn string that needs replacing.

There could be multiple issues at play. A change in humidity could warp the neck ever so slightly. Worn frets.... ...
Humidity? Well, the humidity did jump to the 80's for a little more than 1 day because we had a sudden drenching downpour that caused severe flooding in many areas.

Worn frets? The instrument is brand new, so I hope not. :p

However, my experience after numerous years of playing is that if a wound string starts buzzing the culprit so far has always been a worn string that needs replacing.
Worn string? The strings are brand new, so I hope not. :rolleyes:

Has the location of the buzz been isolated? If the #3 string has been fretted up the neck for several frets with no other buzz except when the first fret is engaged, then the second fret is the logical buzz location. If shimming the nut slot eliminates the buzz, then the second fret should be reinspected for height or burr. As this particular nut slot is deeper than others, eventual repair of the nut slot, or complete replacement of the nut, should be considered.

I ordered Worth Tenor strings per suggestion of TH. I haven't received them yet. Tenor strings should be okay because I tune this Baritone to A.

... ...As this particular nut slot is deeper than others, eventual repair of the nut slot, or complete replacement of the nut, should be considered.
If the string change doesn't solve the buzz, then I will take the uke to HMS in Haleiwa. HMS is the store where I purchased this barry. HMS will find the problem & fix it -- they are 100% reliable in supporting the instruments bought from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom