Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slotted Headstocks?

I think for ukuleles they are mainly used in tenor size to emulate a "classic guitar" look, whereas for soprano and concert friction tuners (or geared look-alikes) provide a more instrument-appropriate design. I have a 12-fret 12-string guitar with a slotted headstock, and I prefer its tuner button access to the paddle headed guitars I own.

Tiple headstock.jpgRegal tiple headstock
    Banduria headstock2.jpgBanduria heastock
    Maggie's O18.jpgMaggie's Martin

I have no ukes with slotted headstocks, but do have three instruments in the house with slotted headstocks. I like the looks of these instruments, but re-stringing takes at least twice the time that my other instruments do. These instruments all have steel strings; perhaps nylon would be easier.

I've always liked them on guitars, but I think that they look clunky on ukuleles. Visually they also look heavy, I guess that is the same as clunky. Physically that in itself would not bother me, I'm strong enough that the weight wouldn't be an issue, but I have read here treads from people who are really put off by the weight of the headstock, so much so that they use light weight tuners. I would think that those folks would avoid a slotted headstock.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

1. I like the looks of a slotted headstock, especially on the more guitar-like builds with a spruce or cedar top.

2. A slotted headstock makes changing strings easier for me (all tuners facing and turning in the same direction).

3. My impression is that a slotted headstock has a positive impact on the sound, if it has an impact at all.

I can see how a slotted headstock could be a bit too much on the smaller sizes and more traditional builds.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

I have read that some slotted designs are more fragile than paddle headstocks. I have no evidence that is the case.

It's mostly aesthetics and what you are used to. Back in the 70s, for acoustic guitars, classical guitars with nylon & wound strings had a slotted headstock, while steel strung folk & jazz guitars were paddle. That seems to have changed a lot and is more what you like than functionality.

I don't find slotted headstocks any more difficult to string. Maybe a little longer to do so. The MyaMoe website has an interesting video about how he strung their ukes so the strings would absolutely not slip on the tuners.

Joel Souza, owner and builder of Kanilea ukuleles, mentioned that slotted headstocks sound better. Something about the break angle?

If you are a "change the string set" type, stay away from slotted headstocks -- much harder than conventional

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I've always liked them on guitars, but I think that they look clunky on ukuleles. ....
    I tend to agree with that, especially on smaller ukes. Perhaps on a larger uke they look better. For what ever reason, I also like ukes to look a little more distinct and not like little guitars.

Four of my Ukes and two of my guitars have slotted headstocks. There was a bit of a learning curve for restringing at first, but it quickly became just as easy as paddleheads for me. I love the look, as well as the added benefit of the better break angle at the nut.

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Quote Originally Posted by luv2uke View Post
    Joel Souza, owner and builder of Kanilea ukuleles, mentioned that slotted headstocks sound better. Something about the break angle?
    Do you have some link to that discussion? I just wonder how he defines a better sound? Sound is pretty subjective. .
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information