Slotted Headstocks?

I have a Kala tenor with a slotted head. I do not find it any harder to string versus my concert or soprano ukes.
I love the look of the slotted head but do find it a little more difficult to fret some chords on the first fret.
The slotted head is thicker and wider.

I've seen several threads lately where people are talking about how much they love slotted headstocks. Why? I'll go ahead and start by saying that I'm not particularly attracted to them. I'm just asking for the sake of discussion.

I appreciate that someone is not attracted to slot heads...

With the exception of Magic Fluke, I'm particularly UN-attracted to them, aesthetically... which makes looking for a guilele/guitlele/guitarlele/kiku challenging

I appreciate that someone is not attracted to slot heads...

With the exception of Magic Fluke, I'm particularly UN-attracted to them, aesthetically... which makes looking for a guilele/guitlele/guitarlele/kiku challenging

Not that challenging. Have you had a look at the Islander GL6, the Cordoba Mini, the Romero Creations TT6, the KoAloha D-VI (now Opio G6), the Kanilea GL6 or the Baby Bard from Luthier Jay Lichty? All of these Guilele/Kiku models are available without a slotted headstock.

Not that challenging. Have you had a look at the Islander GL6, the Cordoba Mini, the Romero Creations TT6, the KoAloha D-VI (now Opio G6), the Kanilea GL6 or the Baby Bard from Luthier Jay Lichty? All of these Guilele/Kiku models are available without a slotted headstock.

Thanks, Rakelele. I started a spreadsheet w/ some of the ones you mentioned... but appreciate you mentioning some of the ones that hadn't made it on my comparison (RC TT6, Baby Bard) yet... actually looked at TT6 but unsure who else sells it besides HMS (out of stock). There may be more stock in spring.

Two other specs that trump headstock: width at nut & total length. Prefer nut width in the 40's mm & tenor size length (28in / 710mm or less). I saw your review/comparison of the Opio G6 vs Kanilea Islander G6 & the wideness at the nut, 51mm - not so much for me...
Cordoba specs for several different models, for me need to be verified, given the disclaimer on their website: "Due to ongoing product development efforts, specifications are subject to change without notice." & the fact that many sellers, especially retail, are posting conflicting/different numbers, or posting numbers that are total misquotes or off from what I've seen in person (which is only one so far - Lag TKT150E).

Last edited:
Top Bottom