If you were going to get a pineapple...

hollymichele

Reaction score
Which one of these would you lean towards? As much as I'd love to "try before I buy," I can't find any local stores that carry much of anything that I'm looking for. So the ones I'm interested in online are:

-Ohana Concert Pineapple PKC-50G All Solid Cedar / Mahogany
-Romero Creations Spruce Mahogany ST Concert Ukulele (not exactly pineapple, but a nice shape)
-Pono MGTP Solid Figured Mango Pineapple Tenor Ukulele

Looks-wise, I'd prefer the Pono (and I'd rather have a tenor). But I keep reading that mango may not be the best for projection. Thoughts?

Tenor pineapples are not very common. That would be a great choice. The koa Tiny Tenor would also be a good choice or you could try to hold out for a mango if that was your preference.

Which one of these would you lean towards? As much as I'd love to "try before I buy," I can't find any local stores that carry much of anything that I'm looking for. So the ones I'm interested in online are:

-Ohana Concert Pineapple PKC-50G All Solid Cedar / Mahogany
-Romero Creations Spruce Mahogany ST Concert Ukulele (not exactly pineapple, but a nice shape)
-Pono MGTP Solid Figured Mango Pineapple Tenor Ukulele

Looks-wise, I'd prefer the Pono (and I'd rather have a tenor). But I keep reading that mango may not be the best for projection. Thoughts?

I love pineapples. I think they are the most interesting shapes. I'm not a fan of figure 8. That being said I'm not a fan of the Romero design either they are to triangular to me. The Pono looks interesting but like you I'm not anywhere near a location that has one on hand. I think I can probably find an Ohana dealer but they are like an hour and half away from me and I'm to lazy to travel plus after visiting their site I'm not too convinced that they would have a wide selection available. Uke Republic has great videos about your choices sans PKC-50G. I do like the PKC-70G that was reviewed by them but like you I was interested in the Cedar top rather than Spruce. Given a choice using your money I'd buy the Ohana PKC-50G please ship it over here, I'll try to enjoy it enough for the both of us. HA!

Have you (the original poster) played any Pineapple shaped Ukes before? I have a basic Kala Pineapple, which I set-up well, and it’s the best of my Ukes. Mine is louder and a little bassier than my other Sopranos, it’s louder than one of my Concert Ukes too. What I’m trying to say here is that if you are choosing a specific size for its deeper and/or louder sound then the Pineaple body size and shape needs to be factored in too, but if scale length is an issue then that’s different.

Whilst I don’t play Ohana Ukes they are well liked and they do sell good products which folk seem to hold onto. My suggestion is that you’re very likely to get something that suits from Ohana. If I lived in the US then I’d give Mim a call, her prices are good and - if she has the time - she might even shoot a video for you too or direct you to some other helpful resource.

Last edited:
If I was to get a pineapple uke (as your title suggest), I'd go for a Kamaka, as they are the ones who invented the shape. As a matter of fact, a Kamaka pineapple is the only soprano I have and I love that typical barking sound of it.

Out of the ones you list, my favorite is the Romero Creations. I prefer their triangular shape over a classic pineapple body, and I love their quality, their finish, and their entire design. In terms of sound, they aren't much different from other tenors or concerts (not as barking as the Kamaka soprano pineapple mentioned above).

The Pono pineapples are nice too, though. I had one of their Mango pineapple tenors and liked it very much, but it wasn't the loudest of my ukes and much to my surprise, the pineapple shape did not boost the lower end in comparison to other tenors with a regular figure 8 body. I sold the pineapple eventually, because I'm mostly looking for a warm guitar-like sound (baritones and guileles have become my preferred weapons of choice).

Ohana make good ukes, if it suits your purpose, you'll likely be happy with it. :)

Mainland have a tenor scaled concert bodied solid mahogany pineapple, if memory serves me right, might be worth a look.

(Otherwise, for a tenor scale, the Romero Tiny Tenor.)

Last edited:
If I was to get a pineapple uke (as your title suggest), I'd go for a Kamaka, as they are the ones who invented the shape. As a matter of fact, a Kamaka pineapple is the only soprano I have and I love that typical barking sound of it.

Out of the ones you list, my favorite is the Romero Creations. I prefer their triangular shape over a classic pineapple body, and I love their quality, their finish, and their entire design. In terms of sound, they aren't much different from other tenors or concerts (not as barking as the Kamaka soprano pineapple mentioned above).

The Pono pineapples are nice too, though. I had one of their Mango pineapple tenors and liked it very much, but it wasn't the loudest of my ukes and much to my surprise, the pineapple shape did not boost the lower end in comparison to other tenors with a regular figure 8 body. I sold the pineapple eventually, because I'm mostly looking for a warm guitar-like sound (baritones and guileles have become my preferred weapons of choice).

My uncle has an Ohana It is not a pineapple, however I did enjoy playing it. Some of the Ohana pineapples have more than 12 frets. I think the one you indicated may be one. You can find where to but from the
Ohana website. https://ohana-music.com/dealers

I’d like to get a pineapple, the
Ohana 19 fret would be my choice.

P.s.
mim has a large selection of
Ohana.

Last edited:
I have a Black Bear pineapple I’ve been meaning to put up for sale. P.m. me if interested and I can send you pics and sound sample.
Happy New Year!

I have a gold label, a tad beat up, Kamaka pineapple soprano. It will not win a concours d'elegance but it has a wonderful sound. My first pineapple was a Mele with a koa top. I also had a Mainland pineapple concert with a tenor neck in mahogany. The Male and Mainland have gone to new owners. I love the sound of the pineapple as its sound seems to me more resonant. Probably due to the larger soundboard and the placement of the bridge. For that reason though the Mainland was not so impressive. The other factor is the wood. I am devoted to koa. And I am devoted to Kamaka instruments, now having three. I have branched out to a Koaloha Opio long neck, spruce topped, soprano and absolutely love it, I just wish it was a pineapple. I also have a traveling Braddah tenor made ages ago by Mele.

If my budget would permit I covet a Koaloha pineapple. I have tried to be good and manage my UAS. However last week I branched out to an old Gibson guitar and 1920s Gretsch tenor banjo. So I am far from perfect. I love swapping between the instruments. In the end it is all about fun.

Do not neglect used instruments. Sometimes you can find beat up ones that play and sound dreamy, my pre 80s Bruko is a case in point.
Happy New Year.

So...I have narrowed it down to the Ohana PKC-50G (cedar & mahogany) and the Pono Mango Pineapple (either concert or tenor). I checked out the Mainlands because of such great reviews, but I personally don't prefer the look of those. As far as Romero Creations, I prefer the traditional pineapple shape.

The looks of the Pono are probably more my personal style (though the Ohana is very nice looking as well). It probably all comes down to the mango. :) While I'd prefer a more mellow tone (which is sounds like mango is the way to go for that), I'm concerned about several reviews saying that mango can sound "dead."

Decisions, decision.... I really wish I could try both in real life, but I can't find either anywhere nearby.

If you get the Ohana from Mim or the Pono from HMS, you can't go wrong. Sounds like you want the mango. It's not going to leave HMS sounding "dead". We know it's been sitting it your cart for days now; just click Checkout already. :p :shaka:

Sorry,off topic I know...well, sort of...all this talk of pineapples and mangos put me in mind of this :

This was the intermission ,back to your original program.

So...I have narrowed it down to the Ohana PKC-50G (cedar & mahogany) and the Pono Mango Pineapple (either concert or tenor). I checked out the Mainlands because of such great reviews, but I personally don't prefer the look of those. As far as Romero Creations, I prefer the traditional pineapple shape.

The looks of the Pono are probably more my personal style (though the Ohana is very nice looking as well). It probably all comes down to the mango. :) While I'd prefer a more mellow tone (which is sounds like mango is the way to go for that), I'm concerned about several reviews saying that mango can sound "dead."

Decisions, decision.... I really wish I could try both in real life, but I can't find either anywhere nearby.

Forgot the mango and go cedar mahogany. You seem very conflicted about mango, it appears you like the "idea" of mango wood but have you ever played one. Cedar and mahogany will give you a warm tone when strummed and clear and articulate when picked. It has been used forever on many different types of instrument and for good reason.

Forgot the mango and go cedar mahogany. You seem very conflicted about mango, it appears you like the "idea" of mango wood but have you ever played one. Cedar and mahogany will give you a warm tone when strummed and clear and articulate when picked. It has been used forever on many different types of instrument and for good reason.

No, I've never played a mango uke. Unfortunately, there's no where local for me to try one. I'm just going off of loving the sound of the clips on the HMS site and preferring the look of the Pono to the Ohana. But yeah...the mixed reviews on mango are throwing me off...vs consistently great reviews for that Ohana model. I can't find as many reviews (either written or youtube videos) of the Pono MGTP in particular, so it's making it hard for me to pull the trigger. Even though, as someone above pointed out, HMS likely isn't going to sell me a dud.

HMS offers a trial period after which you can send a uke back with no questions asked. So there is little risk in case you don't like what you get. They will definitely not sell you a dud, but there IS a possibility that the sound isn't what you were hoping for. Not because the instrument is a dud, but because it's made for a different type of sound or playing style. But this is true for any instrument you'll buy online. With any instrument you buy online, be it Pono or Ohana, there is a chance that you won't like it.

Just an additional thought: One thing that has become increasingly important to me (but may not be as important to you or others) is to know that an instrument comes from a company that cares about sustainability and fair working conditions. Out of all the ukes coming from Asia, Pono sticks out in this respect. There are several videos showing their factory on Java, whereas in all of my research I have never found a single video from any of the Chinese companies who produce for Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Mahalo, Cordoba, Kmise, Leho, Snail, or whatever their brand tag may be.

HMS offers a trial period after which you can send a uke back with no questions asked. So there is little risk in case you don't like what you get. They will definitely not sell you a dud, but there IS a possibility that the sound isn't what you were hoping for. Not because the instrument is a dud, but because it's made for a different type of sound or playing style. But this is true for any instrument you'll buy online. With any instrument you buy online, be it Pono or Ohana, there is a chance that you won't like it.

Just an additional thought: One thing that has become increasingly important to me (but may not be as important to you or others) is to know that an instrument comes from a company that cares about sustainability and fair working conditions. Out of all the ukes coming from Asia, Pono sticks out in this respect. There are several videos showing their factory on Java, whereas in all of my research I have never found a single video from any of the Chinese companies who produce for Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Mahalo, Cordoba, Kmise, Leho, Snail, or whatever their brand tag may be.

Thanks for pointing that out (sustainability and fair working conditions). I hadn't realized that about Pono, and that is something that's important to me. That, paired with the fact that HMS offers a trial period...I'll go with the Pono and see what happens. :)

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for pointing that out (sustainability and fair working conditions). I hadn't realized that about Pono, and that is something that's important to me. That, paired with the fact that HMS offers a trial period...I'll go with the Pono and see what happens. :)

Thanks everyone!

How do you like your Pono? I’m trying to make the same decision between the ohana solid cedar top and the pono solid mango. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Top Bottom