New Apple Watch 4 for Xmas. Haptic metronome?

jnorris235

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a metronome to tap my wrist in time? Phones can flash, drummers can tap, lots of other options but want this one! And some trick so it doesnt stop after 70 seconds?

I hadn't even thought to look for one, but that's a great idea. If you find one, please update the thread.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and write one of my own?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I did a quick search on the app store (using the Watch app on the phone, if you don't know about the separate app store for apps that have a watch component). It looks like none of the existing apps will do what you want, because once the watch goes to sleep, then it will stop any app. Not sure if there's any real kind of work-around for that until Apple changes functionality available to programmers.

Last edited:
Its the haptic thing that I want. My ohone has a colour flashing one which is OK, but a ‘tap’ would be better.
The 70 second thing is avoided by apple when they take in data for fitness, but itll need a clever person to work around apple for output. Maybe a repeating alarm (100 times a minute?!)

Hmm Interesting idea.

Haptick - a new haptic metronome

Hi, jnorris...
I just got a watch series 5, and thought the same thing ... when your wrist drops, the metronome goes to sleep. Also, other rmetronomes I tried had haptic vibrates that were *way* too subtle.
I wrote my own. It tries (hard) to stay awake, and I've built it with a "heavier" pulse (side effect: the watch wouldn't keep up if I pulsed it every beat, so I pulse it every other beat).
You can search for "Haptick" on your iphone/watch apps. Here's an info page: www.itry.ca/Haptick
It's not perfect, but it's "close enough for jazz".
--- George

Thanks. Paid for it. Unfortunately hasnt appeared on my iphone or watch. Up to date versions of ios, and app store shows purchased so cant redownload!

Thanks. Paid for it. Unfortunately hasnt appeared on my iphone or watch. Up to date versions of ios, and app store shows purchased so cant redownload!

I just installed Pulse. Open your iPhone Watch app, touch My Watch, scroll down until you see the app in the list, touch install. Mine took a couple of minutes. I have an Apple Watch 3 and I don't feel anything on my wrist, must be another setting I'm not aware of or the 3 does not support it , but the app on my phone works for me because I always use a Bluetooth headphone and get an audible pulse in my ear. I'll see how that works at rehearsal on Monday.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Until watchOS 6 metronome apps weren't really possible on the iWatch

• the haptics aren't very strong. I believe this is still the case and would require a hardware upgrade.
  • there was no way to keep the app alive in the back ground.

WatchOS 6 allows for "Extended Runtime Sessions" to allow the app to stay alive. Metronome isn't one of the explicit session modes, but would probably work as a "Mindfulness" app with a 1 hour time limit.

George, it sounds like Haptick still has the 70 second problem. Did you try an Extended Runtime Session and it didn't work for this?

As an alternative, Soundbrenner finally shipped their Core musician's watch with embedded metronome, tuner, and decibel meter. I've been wearing mine for a couple of weeks now and it works well as a basic metronome - I haven't tried anything complex. Other than the music features it's not a smart watch.

I'll try to post a review in the review forum this evening.

No problem with pulse installing, and I agree the tap is very weak, but as you say, good on the phone. But Mr. TrocTrumpets new app wont appear on my iphone or watch.
I paid for it, it says ‘purchased’, I have the invoice - I just dont have the app itself (Haptick). I wondered if he was aware of this?

Trying

Hi, JN -- I don't know how to fix your problem... It might require a tech email to the Apple Store. I'm new at this, so I'm not sure what else to try.

Hi, Arcy -- The 70 second problem is elusive. But, my program seems to compensate; by telling the watch to ignore "wrist movement", it tends to stay awake longer. There is a rather annoying side effect: a wrist twist will actually change the orientation of the watch face. I'm trying to figure out a way around that. I'm still quite concerned that jnorris can't get my program to load.

Hi, JN -- I don't know how to fix your problem... It might require a tech email to the Apple Store. I'm new at this, so I'm not sure what else to try.

As an update: Downloading an already-purchased Apple Watch app requires that you go to the app store from your watch, rather than from your iPhone. This caught me by surprise, too.

Top Bottom