Ukulele plans?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
Who sells the best baritone Ukulele plans. I know Georgia luthier and Bob Gleason has some. Anyone else I should look at

Thanks and Happy New Year

I doubt they have the watermark on the real plans. I've used transfer paper before to make fixtures from plans. Copied on to like poster board

The georgia plans come as a efile that allows you to have up to three full size sets printed. I found them to be very complete.Their construction guide was not as helpful.

I bought the Georgia luthier plans because they included the side bender form plans. I thought these would be slightly smaller than the real dimensions but they are the same. Do you all make your side bender forms a little smaller to account for spring back?

Thanks

Happy New Year

I make my bending form 1.8mm smaller than the instrument to take into account the thickness of the sides. They do not have any extra compensation for spring back. If you used the exact same timber every time you could dial that amount in. But if you build like many of us do it will be different species very often. So any spring back will be taken care of on the hot pipe if required.

I make my bending form 1.8mm smaller than the instrument to take into account the thickness of the sides. They do not have any extra compensation for spring back. If you used the exact same timber every time you could dial that amount in. But if you build like many of us do it will be different species very often. So any spring back will be taken care of on the hot pipe if required.

Thanks Allen

I used to have my bender forms exactly the same shape as the uke and like Allen I made it slightly smaller to allow for the material thickness and with no compensation for spring back..But after a few years of re-adjusting on the hot pipe I got fed up with this extra work, and so made a new former with compensation, and now they come out of the bender almost how they should look...Thats if they don't come out cracked :rolleyes: Also when you use a heating blanket under the material dont forget to allow for the blanket thickness on the former eg: if the heating blanket is 3mm thick and the side to be bent is 2mm thick, then the former needs to be 5mm smaller than the finished size.. if you understand what I mean ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom