A second "Chauncey Jerome" soprano pineapple

Jerome collector

Reaction score
I didn't think I would start another ukulele so soon after completing the first one. However, the discovery of some discarded cedar shakes in our attic inspired me to incorporate them into a second pineapple ukulele. Our house was built in 1924, and the shakes presumably date from that time period. I used two shakes for the top board. For the sides and back I used cherry. Other components: mahogany neck; rosewood fretboard; cedar and cherry headstock overlay; mahogany bridge; and rosewood nut and saddle (the latter topped with fret wire). One thing I didn't anticipate was both how easy and how hard cedar is to work with. Easy in the sense that it's soft and consequently easy to cut and sand. Hard in that it's brittle and prone to accumulating dings and scratches with the slightest careless handling. The brittleness may be a function of having lived through more than 90 years of Nebraska winters and summers in our attic. It remains to be seen whether the cedar top board will hold up. Sound-wise, it's warmer and louder than the maple-topped pineapple. For the brave, I've posted sound files of both of the ukuleles (follow my signature below). My playing skills are a work in progress.
Mike
PS - Seems I've exceeded my quota for attachments, so I'm unable to post images of the ukulele. Wasn't able to find out to fix the problem, so, if you're interested in seeing the final product, they're at the same location as the sound files.
PPS - Apologies for being cryptic in directing people to where they can see the ukulele. I spent hours on the message board yesterday trying to reply to my original post on my first Chauncey Jerome ukulele with the text above (and many variations thereof), only to have them repeatedly rejected as spam. I tried again this morning with no luck. I decided, as a last measure, to try starting a new thread. It worked! For fear of jinxing this post, I am not linking to the thread with my first Jerome ukulele, nor am I linking to my post on the Site Suggestions board detailing my many failed attempts.

Last edited:
This sites software is very frustrating, even trying to post a link to a reputable ukulele plan site (Georgia Luthier) results in the dreaded "spam" message. A note to the site admin PLEASE fix this!

PS - Seems I've exceeded my quota for attachments, so I'm unable to post images of the ukulele.

You are limited to 5 attachments per post. Use the picture icon on the dashboard to upload pictures either from your computer or from the web. If you want to upload more than 5 pictures, you will have to reply to your own post... Yes, I have gotten the spam rejection only once, but when I went around and tried again it was accepted. Odd.

And the uke looks and sounds great by the way.

You are limited to 5 attachments per post. Use the picture icon on the dashboard to upload pictures either from your computer or from the web. If you want to upload more than 5 pictures, you will have to reply to your own post... Yes, I have gotten the spam rejection only once, but when I went around and tried again it was accepted. Odd.

And the uke looks and sounds great by the way.

Thanks for the comments on the ukulele. With respect to posting attachments, it wouldn't allow me to post even one. I believe it's because there are still images from previous posts in the attachments manager, and it's limiting me on the number of images I can have stored in the attachments manager. I think I'm missing something very fundamental here, but I don't know what it is. I have a fair amount of experience using the same message board platform on another forum (the NAWCC message board) and have never experienced these problems on that forum. That said, the NAWCC switched to a different platform a couple of years ago due to other limitations.

Yes, your problem is using the attachments manager. You don't need to use that to post pictures. Just use the insert thumbnail icon thingy in the dashboard tray above every post and browse to the picture on your computer or on the web. Hope that helps.

Yes, your problem is using the attachments manager. You don't need to use that to post pictures. Just use the insert thumbnail icon thingy in the dashboard tray above every post and browse to the picture on your computer or on the web. Hope that helps.

I just tried inserting one image as suggested. It's an 80kb jpg file, and I get a message saying I've exceeded my quota by 72.4kb.

Top Bottom