Strings to increase volume but keep mellow tone (Pono)

hollymichele

Reaction score
I'm going to get a Pono MGTP. I enjoy a more mellow tone, so I'm fine with that. But I've heard that Ponos don't have the best projection. What type of strings would you recommend for keeping the mellow tone, but adding some projection and sustain?

Thanks a bunch!

You can try many different kinds of strings to get a more mellow sound, but the volume is more a function of how the instrument is made and kinds of woods used in its' construction, not the strings used.

QUOTE=hollymichele;2120560]I'm going to get a Pono MGTP. I enjoy a more mellow tone, so I'm fine with that. But I've heard that Ponos don't have the best projection. What type of strings would you recommend for keeping the mellow tone, but adding some projection and sustain?

Thanks a bunch![/QUOTE]

Pono have good projection and volume, at least all the tenors I have tried. Wood type does play a roll, spruce top is usually brighter which equates to louder to the human ear. Worth Brown are a warm florocarbon string with good volume so try those

I'm going to get a Pono MGTP. I enjoy a more mellow tone, so I'm fine with that. But I've heard that Ponos don't have the best projection. What type of strings would you recommend for keeping the mellow tone, but adding some projection and sustain?
I put Aquila Sugar strings on my Pono Baritone. I find them to be loud, warm, & with great sustain. At Amazon, these are hi-G & these are low-G. YMMV

Last edited:
I just put some sugars on an acacia solid top. They seem louder and warmer than the oasis I had on. I am not sure if they are actually louder. It may be they have a little more clarity making them seem louder.
The sweak is annoying but I undestand it starts to go away in a few days

Top Bottom