Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck attachment method?

I think the other question I would suggest you ask yourself is how many Ukes do you want to make?

I started with the Spanish heel and I liked it but it left me thinking I wanted to try a bolt on method....second I did a butt join with bolt on (and glue) & it was a bit of a pain & left something to be desired. At this point I knew I was hooked and wanted to keep building ukes & I like finishing the neck & body separate...So then I went through the process & built a Mortise & Tenon Jig (like Kekani mentioned) I REALLY like this way of doing things! Well worth the time IF you plan to make enough to warrant the time etc.....Or if you can afford to by the pre-made version (but I tend to like building my tools & jigs).

In the end they all work well & they all have their pros and cons....you just need to figure out what you like & how much time & $ you want to invest. So I suggest trying more than one if you want to build many OR go with the one that seems simplest with your skill level / tools available if this is a one or two type situation.

Some of the bigger uke makers use a bisquet joint. Just one bisquet and your good to go.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Thank you all for your input

On my 29 past ukuleles.
    Soprano to tenor.
    No problem at all.

Keep in mind that take off ( if necessairy ) the neck isn't so easy that mortise assembly ... near impossible ...

Attachment 114486

Attachment 114487
    Last edited by gerardg; 01-04-2019 at 07:46 AM.

I like to make parts in batches of however many I feel like. So I fit necks like this. Its not new on UU but I haven't seen it lately. I hope they make sense without captions. Individual fitting is seldom necessary.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

neck_fit3.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0024 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jcalkin View Post
    I like to make parts in batches of however many I feel like. So I fit necks like this. Its not new on UU but I haven't seen it lately. I hope they make sense without captions. Individual fitting is seldom necessary.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

neck_fit3.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0024 (2).jpg
    Hey, thank you very much this looks like the way I might do my first neck.

I wrote a description just to see if I understood the photographs correctly.

Photo 1
    Is just basically the jig you use to drill the bolt hole that attaches the neck to the body

Photo 2
    This is a photo of you using the jig. The top bit is holding the jig in place.

Photo 3
    These are the jigs you use to radius the neck to the body. I’m assuming you do this with the Robo Sander.

Photo 4
    This is a photo of the neck clamped to the jig before it’s radiused with the Robo sander

Photo 5
    This is a photo of the necks radiused with the bolts attached.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-atl View Post
    Hey, thank you very much this looks like the way I might do my first neck.

I wrote a description just to see if I understood the photographs correctly.

Photo 1
    Is just basically the jig you use to drill the bolt hole that attaches the neck to the body

Photo 2
    This is a photo of you using the jig. The top bit is holding the jig in place.

Photo 3
    These are the jigs you use to radius the neck to the body. I’m assuming you do this with the Robo Sander.

Photo 4
    This is a photo of the neck clamped to the jig before it’s radiused with the Robo sander

Photo 5
    This is a photo of the necks radiused with the bolts attached.

Thanks

About #2: There are centerlines on the neck and heel, as well as all contacting surfaces of the jig. In use a cam clamp is applied to the rear of the jig and neck, and the larger bit is removed to drill the hole for the connector bolt.

Thread Information