Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which should i get? KIWAYA laminated longneck or PONO solid mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Teri has a good point here. The newer, lower priced Kiwaya laminates, KSU-1, KSU-1L and KCU-1, etc. are supposedly made in China, although I've heard reports that some may also be made in Japan. I tried a KCU-1 concert, ordered from Rakuten in Japan, but origin could not be determined, since there was no mention where it was made on the uke. The country of manufacture should always be shown, IMO. This was my first supposedly MIC uke that didn't have, at minimum, the little Made in China sticker on the back of the headstock; not sure why, I thought that was a law?

That uke was just OK, had blems, like the one in Baz's review (which I could live with), but did not have the good volume & tone like the one he reviewed. It was a disappointment, and went down the road. That particular uke was nowhere near the quality or sound of the 4 MIJ laminate Kiwaya/Famous ukes I've owned. Maybe I just got a dud, but the KSU-1L still has my interest, based on Baz's review.
    Hi Ukecaster, thanks for sharing your experience. My concern is also I haven’t read enough to show that Kiwaya laminated uke sounds above average whether from Japan or China. The KSU-1L still attracts me too. But for now I am planning to buy wisely than widely (hoarding^^) .

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Out of the two, I'd always pick the Pono. I think they provide the best value, all of their instruments are made from solid wood with a very nice finish, you know where they come from (Indonesia), they are being supervised by the Kitakis family from Hawai'i who is one of the most experienced makers and sellers of ukes. However, I prefer the larger sizes (tenors and baritones) and to me, this is were Pono really shines. Still, the Pono concert I bought for a friend sounded almost as good as the Kanileas, Kamakas and KoAlohas I have had, and were built just as clean or even cleaner.
    HI Rakelele, totally agree with you for the reliable PONO. most comment that it's either good and above average. Just uncertain about the generally comment of the thick neck. But yes the brand itself is reliable. Why hesitate?! ^^

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for the comments!

I still very attracted to the laminated Kiwaya model for the sound and feel that Baz described. But I havenít come across enough positive reviews about it to convince me to spend on one. So I went for the highly reliable PONO. Received the uku. The neck profile does not bother me for now. I would like to play longer to reveal more. The fiction tuners and new strings are a pain everytime I play at the beginning. As the strings settled, itís dead in tune with little adjustment needed. I still love fiction tuner for its minimal look and itís stability  The sound and intonation is awesome. Definitely better than my dolphin soprano. I feel itís as good as my Kanilea concert and Opio concert. Has to play longer to give much comment. 

Congratulations on your new uke, sounds awesome! Yes, friction tuners can be somewhat tricky to use. Turn the screw with a screwdriver gently to the right if you want it to hold better.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Thanks Rakelele~

Congratulations on your newest acquisition!

They're both fine instruments. I've got a Pono Pro Classic and the Kiwaya KSU-1L. I have to say I prefer the tone of my substantially cheaper Kiwaya to my Pono.
    _________

Loquax autem mutus es

1920s Martin Style 2
    Kanile'a Koa Tenor
    Pono Tenor Pro Classic (Macassar and Cedar)
    1923 Gibson tenor trap door banjo (ukefied)
    Kiwaya KSU-1L (long neck soprano)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    If you live in a dry climate, don't get the solid wood Pono, unless you vow to protect it. If the neck it too thick, you can always have a luthier take it down. Then you can have exactly the shape you want.
    How much do you think this would cost?

Thread Information