Help with a new ukulele

M3dicat3dV3t

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new one and here are my 2 choices.

1. Pono mango pineapple concert size

2. Koaloha opio super soprano or concert.

I know they are the same maker but made in Asia.

Just want to get opinions

No, Pono is associated with Koolau (custom ukes) and Kitakis family that also ownes the HMS. Opio is Thailand version of KoAloha that belongs to the Okami family. Both have different designs and building approaches and you have to try them out to figure which you prefer. Subjectively, Pono might be bit better value, Opio might sound a bit better ... or not.

A lot of people are going to be giving you a lot of ideas which will probably create more questions than answers for you. However, I'll just take your question as-is and answer that I would take the Pono

I'm going to be totally unhelpful by saying that I like the look of the Pono and the sound of the Opio...

I have never seen/heard what other people see in Ponos - but I have a KoAloha solid acacia in my collection, & I think it out performs any Pono that I've heard any day! :D

I own the longneck Opio soprano, albeit with a spruce top. I think they are amazing instruments - mine is now fitted with a bridge pickup and I am thrilled by its sound, acoustically, electrically, its playability, workmanship and portability. I bought mine used and though I might have preferred the all acacia version, I am well pleased.

I do like pineapple instruments and own a Kamaka soprano gold label - it is beat up but a gem. The resonance from a pineapple can be just amazing compared to the figure eight style. I do not have experience of the Pono instruments, they have a great reputation and following. Whatever you do get the instrument from someone who does a competent setup.

However do not neglect the used market. None of my current instruments were bought new. I have never regretted my decisions. Make sure you get a good case!

Your selection shows that you did your homework: both brands will give you the best value I have come across on the ukulele market: Both are solid wood and build in Asia to the specs of Hawaiian companies who know what they are doing (instead of guitar companies who just add a little inexpensive toy to their line-up). I have owned several of each brand and would say that you can't go wrong with either one of them. Still, there are some interesting differences that you might already be aware of:

- Pono has geared tuners, whereas the sopranos and concerts from KoAloha have friction tuners. Many people like them, but they are harder to fine-tune than geared tuners.

- Pono uses a perfectly flat satin finish on their basic models and a glass-like gloss finish on their deluxe and pro classic models. The finish from KoAloha Opio, on the other hand, is kind of a semi-gloss with some open pores and dimples. To me, this is the one thing where they could and should improve.

- The pineapple model from Pono is made from Mango wood, whereas the Opio is Acacia which is a close relative to Hawaiian Koa.

My personal assessment is that overall, Pono offers a better value (cleaner built & nicer finish for a lower price), but Opio might have the edge in terms of sound.

- The pineapple model from Pono is made from Mango wood, whereas the Opio is Acacia which is a close relative to Hawaiian Koa.
Unfortunately, KoAloha does not disclose what kind of Acacia they are using. Pono, on the other hand states they are using "acacia preta", otherwise known as "monkeypod" or "vietnamese koa" or in english "rain tree", which is a recognized tonewood (though not from the acacia family of plants). In contrast, Kala is using "acacia confusa", which is an invasive weed the marketers call "taiwanese koa". But whatever the Acacia they use for the Opios, they sound quite nice.

Last edited:
Your selection shows that you did your homework: both brands will give you the best value I have come across on the ukulele market: Both are solid wood and build in Asia to the specs of Hawaiian companies who know what they are doing (instead of guitar companies who just add a little inexpensive toy to their line-up). I have owned several of each brand and would say that you can't go wrong with either one of them. Still, there are some interesting differences that you might already be aware of:

- Pono has geared tuners, whereas the sopranos and concerts from KoAloha have friction tuners. Many people like them, but they are harder to fine-tune than geared tuners.

- Pono uses a perfectly flat satin finish on their basic models and a glass-like gloss finish on their deluxe and pro classic models. The finish from KoAloha Opio, on the other hand, is kind of a semi-gloss with some open pores and dimples. To me, this is the one thing where they could and should improve.

My personal assessment is that overall, Pono offers a better value (cleaner built & nicer finish for a lower price), but Opio might have the edge in terms of sound.

Good point on the tuners - on my Opio I installed Gotoh uptimes tuners. Such an improvement. However for friction tuners the Koaloha ones are probably the best available..

Thank you all for your input. Seems like I need to buy both lol, but my wife would have me sleep with the ukuleles. It's going to be a tough decision but I'm sure I'll be happy with either one.

I played both at Mim's (in soprano size). They are both nice instruments. To me, the Opio is louder. I bought the Pono because of that because I have a hearing sensitivity. I actually don't play the Pono and never really did after I got it. The friction tuners work well. I just don't like them because I am used to geared tuners.

Top Bottom