Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a new ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Your selection shows that you did your homework: both brands will give you the best value I have come across on the ukulele market: Both are solid wood and build in Asia to the specs of Hawaiian companies who know what they are doing (instead of guitar companies who just add a little inexpensive toy to their line-up). I have owned several of each brand and would say that you can't go wrong with either one of them. Still, there are some interesting differences that you might already be aware of:

- Pono has geared tuners, whereas the sopranos and concerts from KoAloha have friction tuners. Many people like them, but they are harder to fine-tune than geared tuners.

- Pono uses a perfectly flat satin finish on their basic models and a glass-like gloss finish on their deluxe and pro classic models. The finish from KoAloha Opio, on the other hand, is kind of a semi-gloss with some open pores and dimples. To me, this is the one thing where they could and should improve.

- The pineapple model from Pono is made from Mango wood, whereas the Opio is Acacia which is a close relative to Hawaiian Koa.

My personal assessment is that overall, Pono offers a better value (cleaner built & nicer finish for a lower price), but Opio might have the edge in terms of sound.
    Good point on the tuners - on my Opio I installed Gotoh uptimes tuners. Such an improvement. However for friction tuners the Koaloha ones are probably the best available..
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Mead tenor (round)
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Braddah, Mele, concert 1997
    Braddah, Mele, tenor late 1990s
    Bruko #6 soprano, flat back, pre 1980
    Luna tenor - laminate and to use as a loaner.
    Clarophone - banjo ukulele - 1920s?

Thank you all for your input. Seems like I need to buy both lol, but my wife would have me sleep with the ukuleles. It's going to be a tough decision but I'm sure I'll be happy with either one.

I played both at Mim's (in soprano size). They are both nice instruments. To me, the Opio is louder. I bought the Pono because of that because I have a hearing sensitivity. I actually don't play the Pono and never really did after I got it. The friction tuners work well. I just don't like them because I am used to geared tuners.

Well I went against my research and bought a concert cocobolo. Once again thanks for all the input.

Thread Information