Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Updated Bruce Wei Consensus?

What would be helpful is if some more recent buyers could comment on their ukuleles. I bought mine over two years ago, keep it humidified, and what I'd say is that I really like it. It has a shallower body than the other concerts I own, but it has a really sweet tone. I'd like to think that because of the care I take of it (in its case most of the time, humidified as soon as the heat turns on) there have been no problems with cracking.

I know many others have bought Bruce Wei ukuleles since I did--perhaps they just aren't here on UU (Facebook is ultimately much more active, but there are hundreds of ukulele groups).
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    You make a good point about discerning sound quality on YouTube videos and that might have played a part in my impressions. There are a lot of Wei fans here so there must be more nice sounding BW ukes than what I was finding in the videos. As far as your guitalele goes, I agree with Bill 1, it sounds like a keeper from what I could hear. I'm hearing sustain in the plucked notes and they didn't sound off, dull or muddy like I heard from other ukes in many of the videos. If I knew that the uke I wanted had a sound quality like yours I'd probably be a Bruce Wei owner.

When I was seriously considering a Bruce Wei I really wanted it to work out. I contacted him with what I wanted and he responded very promptly with a quote which all told would have landed in at around $400. I would have been willing to get on board at that price so I started listening to every Bruce Wei ukulele video I could find. I was a good audience, I really wanted to like what I heard and I really wanted to make this deal work. I just couldn't do it. I think I would be very generous to say that only about 20% of what I heard would have been acceptable and even many of those would have been kind of disappointing compared to what I already had. I didn't like those odds, especially when I would have been spending $400. Would my uke have landed in that 20%- acceptable range? When I looked at what I could get for $400 from brands with a much more reliable sound I knew I couldn't go through with the deal no matter how badly I wanted a uke that looked like what I wanted to have built.
    Well mine cost AU$120 (about US$85) plus postage. It has a few cracks in it that don't affect playability, which the seller was upfront about. Anyway, it wasn't a huge expenditure, so I wasn't too concerned if it was a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    What would be helpful is if some more recent buyers could comment on their ukuleles. I bought mine over two years ago, keep it humidified, and what I'd say is that I really like it. It has a shallower body than the other concerts I own, but it has a really sweet tone. I'd like to think that because of the care I take of it (in its case most of the time, humidified as soon as the heat turns on) there have been no problems with cracking.

I know many others have bought Bruce Wei ukuleles since I did--perhaps they just aren't here on UU (Facebook is ultimately much more active, but there are hundreds of ukulele groups).
    Have you checked on Got A Ukulele to see if Baz has reviewed one?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Have you checked on Got A Ukulele to see if Baz has reviewed one?
    I almost missed this. Barry has talked about Bruce Wei a few times; mostly in connection with the spotted history from others. I'm in an interesting place with Got a Ukulele right now...I'm doing my own reviews with a slightly different angle...but still very much look forward to everything Barry puts out on the channel/blog.

I was recently chastised on a Facebook Ukulele Group as we talked about Got A Ukulele (someone had a Cordoba and was relieved that Barry approved it), and I mentioned how Barry's review changed how I thought of Caramels...and why I can no longer recommend them, and I'm even hesitant to buy one of their new models because of it.

A number of people lectured me that I shouldn't let Barry's opinion impact my own opinion so much. And oddly, Barry might say the same thing.

So, the weird place is that I'm at this point where I feel like I shouldn't NEED to go to check Got a Ukulele to see if Barry has reviewed one and that my own opinions should be good enough.

Nonetheless, when I saw this, I went to Got a Ukulele and looked to see if Barry had reviewed one...and the answer seems to be no (nothing came up on the search tool on his site).

I hope that all makes sense. I'm in a weird spot of being told I shouldn't take stock in Barry's reviews, and also that it should be where I should go to look. Crazy times.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information