Updated Bruce Wei Consensus?

Interesting that this thread is being revived... I'll comment on mine one more time, although I did a review of it when it first arrived just short of one year ago. (see reviews section, almost exactly one year ago... there is a photo there also)

I bought a shallow body "travel" tenor... I'll admit it, I was smitten by the inlay work in the photo. I paid $340 I think, and after $80 in shipping and tax it was $444 total. It has a cut out, those wing like inlays with holes drilled through them (like an ovation has) on the face, and three small square sound holes on the side of (only) upper bout. It has no insignia on the head stock and no label inside. It came with a photocopied half sheet of green paper stating is was a genuine BruceWeiArts production and admonishing me to keep it is a case with a humidifier. I also came with a cheap vinyl case.

It sounds and plays really nicely. But the output is really low. I've grown used to my Kala SSTU-T travel tenor - which absolutely roars. The tone is a bit thin on the SSTU, but the volume is remarkable!

Although the tone and intonation is really excellent on the BWA, and the set up also very good, it doesn't stand up when being played with other instruments. If I was doing that a lot, I'd need to add a pickup and amp. I played it outdoors with a small group of guitar, cajon and a second uke and it just disappeared. It just doesn't cut through like my Kala does (which I switched back to for our recent performance).

It sounds really magical when I'm alone on my couch however. There is something very special about the tone, which reminds me of a mandolin sometimes. Really sweet sounding in it's own quiet way.

But of course, there is also a horror story included with this purchase, as well. A story I've read about before...

So, I took it out of the box (very well packed BTW) and removed the (sealed) plastic bag. I enjoyed it right from the first strum. I played it for a couple of hours, set it on the couch, and went to bed.

I picked it up the next day, and to my horror, two big cracks had opened up in the face below the bridge. One was advancing toward the bridge and threatening to spread under it. I immediately put it into a (solid) case with a humidifier and didn't touch it for a month.

I attempted to contact BWA via the email on the sheet enclosed, but never received an answer.

But also on this sheet, at the very top... and first thing written there... is the following statement:

"To protect your instrument in the best condition and to prevent it's body from cracking as well as prevent it's neck from flexing, a 'Humidifier' is encouraged to use. As you know if the temperature is so dry or humid is able to damage your instrument".

Well, to be fair, I did not follow this advice to the letter and so I guess it's my fault that this happened... I was warned. I never in a million years would have guessed that this would have happened over the course of 12 hours, however.

Anyhow, I still play it all the time and love how it plays and sounds. It's a bummer that any re-sale value it might have had has disappeared but I don't really think about that too much. It's fun and easy to play and a bit magical in how it sounds.

So the Bruce Wei cracking problem is real, a common problem from what I've gleaned from these boards... but the frets are not an issue thankfully. The neck is... bound? Is that the right term? Anyhow the fret ends are buried behind a strip of wood so there is no way they can stick out.

I'm looking at those two cracks now as I type and they are widening as summer begins. They closed up in the winter and are opening again as it dries out here in Sonoma County in Northern California (Currently: 91 degrees, 22% RH) so I think I'll soak a humidifier and put it back into a case until the current hot spell passes.

I really love this great sounding thin body uke, but it's been difficult to watch these two cracks evolve over the past year. They appear to have stabilized but who knows what the future holds. If I knew then what I know now, I'm not so sure I would have made the purchase. It just too nerve racking...

One more thing: As KohanMike has commented, BWA's shipping prices have gone up. Last summer it was $80, this summer it's $100 for most of the ukes listed on eBay. That does indirectly run the cost up a bit but probably does not help BWA any... shipping is costly these days!
The Martin Guitar Repair Shop that I take my ukes to for repair or setup work used a very thin, watery(?) epoxy to repair a cracked seam in the Ebony back of a 2013 Pono tenor I had. I spoke to the manager of the repair facility about Super Glue and Gorilla Glue. He said they use the epoxy because it is very stable and very strong. And it flows into the crack with a minimum of overflow.

First, they try to close the crack/split by hydrating the instrument. They may use magnets or clamps to align the edges. This may take a few days or even weeks. They tape off the area around the crack. Then they use the very thin epoxy to carefully flow into the crack. After it has set up they remove the tape and allow the epoxy to completely dry. Then they will fix the finish as best they can.

The repair on the Pono was almost invisible. You could only find it by running your fingers over the seam to feel a slight uneven area.

Thanks, Kenn2018 for the advice. I'll consider that... But I'm a bit worried I'll end up spending more than I paid for the thing just for the repair. If it gets so bad it's going to tear itself apart I may change my tune...

In the end, I need to keep in mind that this is a $350 uke, not a $3500 uke. I bought it because I was reading a lot on this forum that BWA ukes were a really good value for the money. (I bought my Fluke for the same reason, actually. People here on UU praising their Flukes got me curious.)

Admittedly, I also fell for the looks.

But, what I was trying to accomplish was finding an upgrade ukulele similar format to my KALA SSTU-t, thin line travel tenor... but with better tone. I more or less achieved that... but...

The bummer is, obviously, that this uke is now basically worthless in the resale market. I'm stuck with it unless I give it away...

It was so unstable it started coming apart in less than 24 hours. Cracks in BWA ukuleles (and guitars too if you go look at the guitar discussion boards down the menu) seem to be a not that rare occurrence with these production quality BWA instruments.

When I wrote to BWA about the issue using the email provided with the purchase, I never received a response.

If I knew now this was all going to happen, I don't think I would have jumped in so quickly.

FYI: It's in a case with a hydration device at the moment... But it's not like I live in a desert! I'm near the coast here in Northern California. The current RH is 72%.

Anyhow, that's been my experience. A love/regret relationship so far. It does sound really great... the cracks really bring me down...

I'd love to have one of the amazing instruments like KohanMike is displaying, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at the moment about diving in to the custom order pool.

Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

Bill is making a lot of assumptions about dave.howe, first, Dave never mentioned a custom, and "...when you know absolutely nothing about playing or owning ukuleles," how did you discern that from Dave's post? I'm not sure who Bill is referring to about playing stringed instruments for 50 years, is it me? Before I ordered my first custom, I went through 16. With my first hand experience of Bruce's ukes, he does good work.
Hi there!

I'd like to try again and contact BruceWeiArts to see if I can at least get a reply... It sounds like you have a better email address than I have?

Can you confirm that: bruckweiguitar@yahoo.com.tw is the contact that you are using?

Thanks!

Thanks, Kenn2018 for the advice. I'll consider that... But I'm a bit worried I'll end up spending more than I paid for the thing just for the repair. If it gets so bad it's going to tear itself apart I may change my tune...

In the end, I need to keep in mind that this is a $350 uke, not a $3500 uke. I bought it because I was reading a lot on this forum that BWA ukes were a really good value for the money. (I bought my Fluke for the same reason, actually. People here on UU praising their Flukes got me curious.)

Admittedly, I also fell for the looks.

But, what I was trying to accomplish was finding an upgrade ukulele similar format to my KALA SSTU-t, thin line travel tenor... but with better tone. I more or less achieved that... but...

The bummer is, obviously, that this uke is now basically worthless in the resale market. I'm stuck with it unless I give it away...

It was so unstable it started coming apart in less than 24 hours. Cracks in BWA ukuleles (and guitars too if you go look at the guitar discussion boards down the menu) seem to be a not that rare occurrence with these production quality BWA instruments.

When I wrote to BWA about the issue using the email provided with the purchase, I never received a response.

If I knew now this was all going to happen, I don't think I would have jumped in so quickly.

FYI: It's in a case with a hydration device at the moment... But it's not like I live in a desert! I'm near the coast here in Northern California. The current RH is 72%.

Anyhow, that's been my experience. A love/regret relationship so far. It does sound really great... the cracks really bring me down...

I'd love to have one of the amazing instruments like KohanMike is displaying, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at the moment about diving in to the custom order pool.

Once bitten, twice shy I guess.
If you can get that uke stabilized and repaired in some manner without spending a bunch that would be nice. Perhaps a journeyman luthier that needs practice would take on the challenge - sort of like when people need dental work and seek out a dental school to get their teeth fixed. Too bad about the cracks.

A uke does not have to have resale value - try to chalk it up to experience. If you can get it stable and it won't self destruct, just try to enjoy it as she is, cracks and all.

You say love/regret relationship - some relationships never work out. I'd look elsewhere for a more promising date next time around. Live and learn.

;)

No!, you have a typo, k where it should be an e, bruceweiguitar@yahoo.com.tw
Thank you! I typed it in wrong today... It's correct on the paper I was copying from... My bad!

I'll try again and see what they say about this. I'm not expecting much, but I do owe them every chance to respond so I'll reach out again and give them another chance ;-)

But I think Tin Ear has the best advice. I'll enjoy it while it lasts and move on...

Thank you! I typed it in wrong today... It's correct on the paper I was copying from... My bad!

I'll try again and see what they say about this. I'm not expecting much, but I do owe them every chance to respond so I'll reach out again and give them another chance ;-)

But I think Tin Ear has the best advice. I'll enjoy it while it lasts and move on...
Could do nothing too and just play it if the cracks don't get worse and if an economical repair doesn't avail itself. It might play as is for a long time.

Think of the cracks as linear sound holes.

Could do nothing too and just play it if the cracks don't get worse and if an economical repair doesn't avail itself. It might play as is for a long time.

Think of the cracks as linear sound holes.
HAHAHA! Linear sound holes... Lemons transformed into lemonade! Fantastic...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 24
Curious - @those who report cracks: are those straight line cracks across the wood figuring or is the wood splitting along the wood figuring, i.e. between lighter and darker coloured wood?

Curious - @those who report cracks: are those straight line cracks across the wood figuring or is the wood splitting along the wood figuring, i.e. between lighter and darker coloured wood?
Take a look... at my vertical sound holes!

Attachments

• IMG_0932(2).JPG
    IMG_0932(2).JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
That might just be poor quality wood with all those knots. My first uke was an Alulu from eBay, which I think is a brand that may also be associated with Wei in some way. It was supposed to be made of some kind of acacia but when I held it up against the light I could see the sun shine through along the wood figuring. My luthier said that it is common for figured wood to separate and in factories they just fill the gaps with glue. Anyway I complained and got a partial refund and got rid of the uke as I didn't find it enjoyable to play.

Bruce's ukes are all solid wood and need to be stored in 45-55% humidity. I made a humidity controlled shelf in my bookcase 8 years ago in which I keep all my Bruce Wei custom ukes and never had a problem.

They remind me of a lot of women I dated in my youth….pretty on the outside, but otherwise, “eh”
Says more about who picked them than the women themselves.

Several words. Acclimatisation. Climate control.

As Mike says, importing a wooden product from the tropics into North America or other places requires a knowledge of acclimatisation and climate control if you want to avoid cracks in the wood. It does not matter what quality the wood and construction is, you need to know how to take care of it when it arrives. You have to be prepared and start as soon as the box is delivered.

If you do not understand acclimatisation, you could waste a lot of money on wooden products and you will end up making undeserved disparaging comments about the artisans and luthiers who work in the tropics.

If you do not understand acclimatisation, you should not buy direct from the tropics, find an agent or distributor who takes care of the issue before you pay for the wooden object.
While overall good advice, I don't find this totally true. Many, many people have complained about their BruceWei ukes cracking. There are other uke brands from tropical countries that don't have this issue, because they use well-aged wood to start with. Cocobolo from Nicaragua and Pono from Java come to mind.

Well, I will admit to being a bit surprised by the cracks that appeared so quickly... I was a woodworker for a while and maybe I should have anticipated this... These cracks appeared overnight on the first day I owned it. I'm bummed this happened and really didn't expect that living where I do...

I live near the coast and the humidity is typically around 50% here. In fact, it's 87% right now, I just checked. I didn't think it was such a big deal for me because of where I live. Live and learn!

KohanMike lives down in Los Angeles, and I can totally see why he needs a special case. I used to live near there... It's a desert, basically. Or was until we started pouring half of the Colorado River, all of Owens Lake and half of Mono Lake onto it! He has frequently shared pictures of his special cabinet and exhorted us to do something similar to protect our fine instruments. Thanks, Mike! I'm looking into something similar before I let my festering UAS grab hold of me again. Before I jump into the world of really fine instruments and have the same thing happen to something I've invested $1000's on...

When I started upgrading to solid wood ukuleles, I should have better educated myself to the details of what is necessary to preserve them. Overall, I consider what happened to be my fault... but...

But, as Cadia and badhabits have mentioned, BWA has a bit of a reputation for this that other tropical based companies don't seem to experience as often. Is this because dealers take care and acclimate their products before shipping them out? I just don't know.

Bill1 seems to be suggesting that I am making disparaging remarks about Brucewiearts, or that it is inevitable that someone in my position and is ignorant of how to treat wood products will do so eventually?

I hope I didn't give that impression. I was not attempting to cast the company in a bad light. As I said, I didn't put it in a humidified case right from the start, as I was instructed to do. I do not fully understand what an acclimatization process entails. Maybe you could start a thread about this, or drag up an old one if it's here on UU somewhere? It seems I missed that one... enlighten us!

And in fact, BWA has been very responsive and replied back to my email right away this time. (True, they did not respond when I first emailed them right after I bought it just under a year ago) They have invited me to send it back for repair, shipping included. They have really stepped up and are wanting to make this right, which I appreciate very much.

I'm trying to decide now if I want to do that. I totally appreciate that they are wanting to do the right thing. I'm just not sure if it's worth shipping a $350 ukulele halfway around the world so they can glue it up and ship it back. I'm in a quandary about this. It feels wrong to me somehow to subject BWA to almost $200 of shipping expenses over such a modestly priced ukulele for two small cracks.

I may just stay with the advice from Tin Ear: Vertical sound holes... it isn't getting worse and it's been almost a year... enjoy the thing and quit stressing about it. Play it and enjoy it. Get over myself and my mixed feelings...

And then, I need to come up with a humidified storage plan. I've learned a painful lesson from this.

Last edited:
Well, I will admit to being a bit surprised by the cracks that appeared so quickly... I was a woodworker for a while and maybe I should have anticipated this... These cracks appeared overnight on the first day I owned it. I'm bummed this happened and really didn't expect that living where I do...

I live near the coast and the humidity is typically around 50% here. In fact, it's 87% right now, I just checked. I didn't think it was such a big deal for me because of where I live. Live and learn!
Before I jump into the world of really fine instruments and have the same thing happen to something I've invested $1000's on...
When I started upgrading to solid wood ukuleles, I should have better educated myself to the details of what is necessary to preserve them. Overall, I consider what happened to be my fault... but...

I may just stay with the advice from Tin Ear: Vertical sound holes... it isn't getting worse and it's been almost a year... enjoy the thing and quit stressing about it. Play it and enjoy it. Get over myself and my mixed feelings...

And then, I need to come up with a humidified storage plan. I've learned a painful lesson from this.
I live "nearby" South of SF and do not humidify. Some of the area sellers do not humidify and imply that it is not necessary to do so in this area. I do keep a couple of custom ukes out on stands and have no issues to date.

I lean toward the BW uke being more susceptible to this issue rather than any lack of understanding of proper treatment of wood products. Twelve hours is a crazy short time for cracks to appear. I would not be surprised if it still cracked if you put a small humidifier (like an Oasis) in it upon opening it. The wood likely was already stressed to the point of cracking no matter what you did. You are near the Kala factory. I bet they do not humidify all the ukes they receive from Asia in their shop. Kalas are everywhere around here with no special humidity adjustments.

Enjoy the BW uke. If you have learned to live with the cracks, then consider them like dents on a new car or ukulele. And worry less about going crazy over building a humidifying cabinet or making other accommodations unless you hear from others in your area that they have cracking issues.

Likewise I'm just south of SF near the coast and have several solid wood instruments. They haven't needed any special humidifying so far.

Relative humidity in my house stays between 40% and 55%, dipping briefly to maybe 35% occasionally, but never long enough to drop below 40 in the cases. I believe it would take a few days outside the acceptable range to actually affect the wood's water content enough to matter anyway.

So no humidity-controlled cabinet for me, fortunately. Will put that $ toward more ukuleles.

It shouldn’t have cracked. That’s a defect, not your mistake. I say defect because of the stated humidity and the time frame. A little humidifier in the case would not have mattered.

Don’t send it back and it sits a loss for both of you.

Send it back on his dime. That gives him a chance to make good. Post your results.

But it is yours and we’re just the popcorn eating public.

Top Bottom