Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Uke destinations in Maui

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    416

    Default Uke destinations in Maui

    Our annual meetings for my work are taking us to Maui this year. Where are the good uke stores?
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison


    the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etudes View Post
    Our annual meetings for my work are taking us to Maui this year. Where are the good uke stores?
    I would like to know as well!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Hi. I went to Maui a few years ago and did a bit of uke shopping while I was there. I found 3 places worth checking out. They are Kula Gold, Mele Ukuleles, and Bounty Music. The links are below.

    http://www.ukulelesinlahainahi.com/ukuleles/
    https://www.bountymusic.com/
    https://meleukulele.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NorCal 916
    Posts
    7,820

    Default

    Two other places to consider

    Lahaina Music
    910 Honoapiilani Hwy
    Lahaina
    808-661-7625

    KP Ukulele
    458 A Front Street
    Lahaina
    808-667-0759

    Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

    Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Honoka'a, HI
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    The Slack Key Show is usually worth a look. Peter DeAquino is a great Hawaiian style uke player who co-hosts the show.

    My buddy Max Angel works at Lahaina Music. Fun, enthusiastic guy who jams all the classics.

    If you happen to be going in June, there's the Kahumoku Workshop. Best uke week around. James Hill will be there this year.
    Brad Bordessa

    Check out my new book: Right Hand Technique for 'Ukulele

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Ooooh, I wish I had known about KP Ukulele and the Slack Key Show when I was there. They look like great things to check out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    Hi. I went to Maui a few years ago and did a bit of uke shopping while I was there. I found 3 places worth checking out. They are Kula Gold, Mele Ukuleles, and Bounty Music. The links are below.

    http://www.ukulelesinlahainahi.com/ukuleles/
    https://www.bountymusic.com/
    https://meleukulele.com/

    Looks encouraging- thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    The Slack Key Show is usually worth a look. Peter DeAquino is a great Hawaiian style uke player who co-hosts the show.

    My buddy Max Angel works at Lahaina Music. Fun, enthusiastic guy who jams all the classics.

    If you happen to be going in June, there's the Kahumoku Workshop. Best uke week around. James Hill will be there this year.
    Thanks- sound great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post
    Two other places to consider

    Lahaina Music
    910 Honoapiilani Hwy
    Lahaina
    808-661-7625

    KP Ukulele
    458 A Front Street
    Lahaina
    808-667-0759

    OK I can see my Uke itinerary taking shape. Thanks
    Last edited by etudes; 01-05-2019 at 06:15 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    416

    Default

    How do the Mele's compare to other made in Hawaii ukes? Not familiar with them..
    Last edited by etudes; 01-05-2019 at 06:14 AM.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison


    the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Honoka'a, HI
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    They're good budget-level pro ukes. Lots of guys use them when a Kamaka is out of their price range. I never found them to be very vibrant in the sound department, but they're well built and easy to play. The shop is great. Worth a stop. FWIW, I think only some of their highest-end ukes are made in Hawai'i.
    Brad Bordessa

    Check out my new book: Right Hand Technique for 'Ukulele

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •