Uke destinations in Maui

etudes

Reaction score
Our annual meetings for my work are taking us to Maui this year. Where are the good uke stores?

Two other places to consider

Lahaina Music
910 Honoapiilani Hwy
Lahaina
808-661-7625

KP Ukulele
458 A Front Street
Lahaina
808-667-0759

The Slack Key Show is usually worth a look. Peter DeAquino is a great Hawaiian style uke player who co-hosts the show.

My buddy Max Angel works at Lahaina Music. Fun, enthusiastic guy who jams all the classics.

If you happen to be going in June, there's the Kahumoku Workshop. Best uke week around. James Hill will be there this year.

Ooooh, I wish I had known about KP Ukulele and the Slack Key Show when I was there. They look like great things to check out.

The Slack Key Show is usually worth a look. Peter DeAquino is a great Hawaiian style uke player who co-hosts the show.

My buddy Max Angel works at Lahaina Music. Fun, enthusiastic guy who jams all the classics.

If you happen to be going in June, there's the Kahumoku Workshop. Best uke week around. James Hill will be there this year.

Thanks- sound great.

Two other places to consider

Lahaina Music
910 Honoapiilani Hwy
Lahaina
808-661-7625

KP Ukulele
458 A Front Street
Lahaina
808-667-0759

OK I can see my Uke itinerary taking shape. Thanks

Last edited:
How do the Mele's compare to other made in Hawaii ukes? Not familiar with them..

Last edited:
They're good budget-level pro ukes. Lots of guys use them when a Kamaka is out of their price range. I never found them to be very vibrant in the sound department, but they're well built and easy to play. The shop is great. Worth a stop. FWIW, I think only some of their highest-end ukes are made in Hawai'i.

They're good budget-level pro ukes. Lots of guys use them when a Kamaka is out of their price range. I never found them to be very vibrant in the sound department, but they're well built and easy to play. The shop is great. Worth a stop. FWIW, I think only some of their highest-end ukes are made in Hawai'i.

That's roughly my assessment. I ended up buying a Mele because I couldn't afford a K brand. I preferred the sound of Meles over Ponos and the looks over Opios, which are both in the same price bracket.

That's roughly my assessment. I ended up buying a Mele because I couldn't afford a K brand. I preferred the sound of Meles over Ponos and the looks over Opios, which are both in the same price bracket.

Look forward to trying them out. I love the ukes I have but have yet to find an instrument that is really well balanced, without dead notes or wolf notes. The closest I have is the Farallon. I'm hoping to stumble into something on Maui that will fit the bill. Thanks for all your input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom