Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mahogany concert owners. Your favorite strings?

Anyone know much about the new Martin Premium strings and where they fall on the mellow-bright scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Astein2006 View Post
    The D'addario Nyltechs. Those are essentially similar to Aquila Nylgut? How close to a nylon sound are they on your Hog soprano? They dont necessarily have to be nylon but they are in the lead. If i can get a nice fat sound from the Nyltechs I'd certainly put that at the top of the try list.
    The are similar to the Nylgut, but I am not sure what the differences are. I would have to try them back to back to see. As I mentioned in another thread, the Nyltech have a nice warm, relatively fat sound, still with some crispness.

The D'addario Nyltechs. Those are essentially similar to Aquila Nylgut? How close to a nylon sound are they on your Hog soprano? They dont necessarily have to be nylon but they are in the lead. If i can get a nice fat sound from the Nyltechs I'd certainly put that at the top of the try list.
    Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    The are similar to the Nylgut, but I am not sure what the differences are. I would have to try them back to back to see. As I mentioned in another thread, the Nyltech have a nice warm, relatively fat sound, still with some crispness.
    In my experience I would agree that the Nyltechs are similar to Aquila Nylgut. I also have not done a heads-up comparison, though I have used both. They both give me the classic uke sound that I prefer for certain kinds of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I have Aquila 5ths(CGDA) on my Luna concert. I really like playing in 5ths, especially finger style.
    Can you tell more about this set? Is it specifically for concert and is it linear or re-entrant style?

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Can you tell more about this set? Is it specifically for concert and is it linear or re-entrant style?
    It is Linear Tuning - CGDA. I think the part number is Aquila 31U. Some UUers use it on tenors too, but I haven’t. The Soprano one is 30U I think (I don’t play sopranos much.

It sounds good to me, but my ears are old. I enjoy 5ths tuning a lot. I have it on a lotta stuff — try it.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    It is Linear Tuning - CGDA. I think the part number is Aquila 31U. Some UUers use it on tenors too, but I haven’t. The Soprano one is 30U I think (I don’t play sopranos much.

It sounds good to me, but my ears are old. I enjoy 5ths tuning a lot. I have it on a lotta stuff — try it.
    Thanks I think I will ask my luthier to put these on my upcoming custom build. I have a guitar background and have not used this tuning before but am aware that there are many mandolin resources with tabs etc. Do you have a few favourites that work well to get started on an uke with this tuning?

Anyone know much about the new Martin Premium strings and where they fall on the mellow-bright scale?
    I personally think they sound a little brighter than Super Nylegut, but warmer than Fluorocarbons.
    You get better sustain with them vs regular super nylegut.
    Ukuleles:
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T
    Soon - LoPrinzi Custom Concert
    Ohana SK-25

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Thanks I think I will ask my luthier to put these on my upcoming custom build. I have a guitar background and have not used this tuning before but am aware that there are many mandolin resources with tabs etc. Do you have a few favourites that work well to get started on an uke with this tuning?
    No, I use it mostly for noodling right now with or without a flat pick. I also have a 5ths tuned Lanikai concert banjolele, which I use for Celtic and Classical.

I hope you do try it and enjoy it as much as I do.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information