Mahogany concert owners. Your favorite strings?

Tous mes ukulélés sont cordés avec les cordes de Tonton Rémy et c'est top !
Il peut vous proposer un jeu de cordes adapté à n'importe quel ukulélé (un Tiple par exemple).
Par contre je ne sais pas s'il envoie aux USA mais il suffit de lui demander !
Tonton Rémy strings

I have an all mahogany concert, and it currently is wearing Uke Logic strings, which sound great, IMO.
I also like Living Water strings on it as well.

Interesting to see that the Tonton and Ukulogic seem to use the same pink fluorocarbon source. Thanks all. I guess I'll be getting the Worths but still interested in the tensions if anyone has comparatives. I'm guessing the difference in density of different materials (nylon, nylgut, FC) is just going to balance differential string diameter and that all are going to be much the same for standard strings. I'm certainly not going to put fats, hards, strongs etc. on this.

ok, so which are the lowest tension? My gut feel was to go CM or BM to bring this old Aria Concert to life (the original nylon do sound ok but they feel too restrictive) but wondering whether Aquila would be less strain on a potentially poppable bridge...

Interesting to see that the Tonton and Ukulogic seem to use the same pink fluorocarbon source. Thanks all. I guess I'll be getting the Worths but still interested in the tensions if anyone has comparatives. I'm guessing the difference in density of different materials (nylon, nylgut, FC) is just going to balance differential string diameter and that all are going to be much the same for standard strings. I'm certainly not going to put fats, hards, strongs etc. on this.

There have been threads about string tensions and folk have shared tables of string diameters and tensions, I cannot point you to one of those threads but maybe someone else can help you with that search. The higher the string material density the higher the tension, if you want lower tension then fluorocarbon isn’t your best material because it’s got the highest material density.

The original post is old, I wonder what the OP did in the end.

If you’re not keen on Nylon then your next lowest density material would be Nylgut; I have SuperNylgut on my solid mahogany concert and like it but YMMV.

EDIT. Try looking at this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/tension-list-for-ukulele-strings.149045/

Last edited:
Il peut vous proposer un jeu de cordes adapté à n'importe quel ukulélé (un Tiple par exemple).
Tonton Rémy strings

It’s great that you have responded to the thread, but what did you say? For those of us that don’t speak your language a response in English (like all of the others on this forum) would be much much better, please. 🙂

Google Translation :

All my ukuleles are roped with Tonton Rémy's ropes and it's great!

It can offer you a set of strings adapted to any ukulele (a Tiple for example).

On the other hand, I don't know if he sends to the USA but just ask him!

There have been threads about string tensions and folk have shared tables of string diameters and tensions, I cannot point you to one of those threads but maybe someone else can help you with that search. The higher the string material density the higher the tension, if you want lower tension then fluorocarbon isn’t your best material because it’s got the highest material density.
I've got one of the tables here, but I'm not completely understanding it. Your point above works when they are the same diameters, but they aren't - we reduce gauges for FC, and returning to nylon sees a large (and problematic, for nut) rise? Annoyingly, I have no Concert stats for FC, but the TonTon site suggests 3kg per string for their concert regular FC. 500g less tension for 'lights'. Different comparators...
From the table, Concert Aquila Nylguts, after changing to kg, are 5-6kg per string. So this seems...wrong, somewhere.
The Soprano Worth Mediums and Lights measure in those ball parks - 3 and 2.5, once converted, but they are shorter scale length. Nylgut in the mid 4s - a lot higher!
Ton Ton dont mention the Soprano weight on their site.....
ok are few more stats. I've used the table equation for the (FC) CM strings and changed the scale length. This gives kg weights of 3-4.3 over the 4 strings. A lot lower than Nylgut. But the TonTon ones seem low unless their diameters are a lot less than the Worth CMs?

Last edited:
Tonton Rémy strings
hello FZ - can you address the string weights for your sopranos, as per my recent post...

hello FZ - can you address the string weights for your sopranos, as per my recent post...
I think the most comprehensive tension table was posted by member Ed1 that was compiled with input from other members and Mimmo Perufo. It has almost all sets commonly sold with tensions for three scales for each string in the set. Though does not include wound strings and linear sets as I recall.

Last edited:
I have my beginner uke- Aklot all mahogany (least that what they say) and I put Fremont blacks on it. It's slightly "bongy" but it is very playable. My AMM3 solid African mahogany tenor is low g Anuenue stock strings and they are quite lovely.

Top Bottom