WTB: 8 String SOPRANO Uke

stephen451

Reaction score
Hello:

Does anyone have an 8-string SOPRANO uke for sale? I plan to play it in mandolin GDAE tuning. I'm 72 and dealing with arthritis, and can no longer play a steel-string mandolin.

Thanks very much!

All best, and happy playing,
Stephen

Wow, I've never heard of one of those, not that they don't exist, but they would be very rare. Would a concert work? Ohana makes a nice one, CK-35-8, I just sold one. Good luck!

I've not heard of an 8 string soprano but as UkerDanno said, Ohana (and Pono which I have) both have concert sized taropatches which are excellent. I used to play mandolin years ago and the synthetic strings on the ukes will be quite a relief for you I suspect.

8 string soprano, that’d be cool. I haven’t heard of any but would be interested to read what turns up.

I'm not sure where or if you can buy a turnkey one, but it's not a terribly difficult modification and should be cake for a new custom build. I'd probably look for a string-through donor if I were doing it again as drilling new tie bridge holes on a mounted tie bridge was a bit of a pain. On the other hand, filling the existing holes may be more difficult on string-through.

8-string soprano.jpg

Thanks very much. Unfortunately, a concert size won't work for me because of the longer scale. The soprano scale is very close to a standard mandolin scale length.

I've made a couple of 8 stringed soprano ukes,the first was a bit heavy and overbuilt but the 2nd one was more successful.FB_IMG_1539115016797.jpg

Wow that is one beautiful ukulele. The pineapple surprised me. :)

The first one I made was a traditional uke shape but it was quite quiet,the bigger volume of the pineapple shaped body definitely made a difference.

Top Bottom