Too Many Tools

Timbuck

Reaction score
New years resolution.....I have decided its time I got rid of some of my tools..over the last 60 years my collection of tools has grown and grown and I seem to have several sets of everything, may be half a dozen sets of pliers, hammers, files, saws..numerous screwdrivers, chisles etc etc etc :(
So i am going to start sorting them out next week..all the stuff I dont need is going to be put into piles photographed and listed on eBay as a "job lot" so that anybody who can use them..can come and take them all away..I imagine some keen "car boot seller" will be able to get rid of them for cash.

Last edited:
This tool clearout is harder to do than anticipated ..I have got a box and started to sort out which tools I no longer need... and not a lot of tools have gone in it yet (only the rubbish ones)..It's like my children leaving home, some I've had for over 50 years like a set of 3 chisels that I bought on the HP as part of a wood working kit when I was first married and broke... These chisels were the only decent tools in the kit they are the tuff mortice type designed to be hit with the mallet :) not much use on ukulele building.. I used them to make a table for our first bedsit flat in 1965...How can I bring myself to throw those out ???:(

Last edited:
This tool clearout is harder to do than anticipated ..I have got a box and started to sort out which tools I no longer need... and not a lot of tools have gone in it yet (only the rubbish ones)..It's like my children leaving home, some I've had for over 50 years like a set of 3 chisels that I bought on the HP as part of a wood working kit when I was first married and broke... These chisels were the only decent tools in the kit they are the tuff mortice type designed to be hit with the mallet :) not much use on ukulele building.. I used them to make a table for our first bedsit flat in 1965...How can I bring myself to throw those out ???:(

I have let a few treasures go on eBay recently and more will follow. How can I let loved items go? Well occasionally you do regret selling an item but you can buy back something similar but beyond that I view it as letting other people have the joy of owning and using an item of mine that was otherwise just gathering dust. In a way you’re giving the item a chance to be both loved and used too and the buyer might not be able to afford a new item but can afford a second hand one - second hand is the ‘green’ way of owning things too so you’re encouraging something worthwhile.

Selling your treasures is a form of sharing and giving that leaves both seller and buyer better off, a bit like you building Ukes. Each Uke that you build is special and has a bit of you about it yet you cannot keep them all so you share them with us, you get some money and the satisfaction of helping someone have a lovely instrument and others get the pleasure of owning and playing a Timms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom