Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 360 - Celebrating a Year of Music

Hello, Steve ... you hero, you! This is a great theme for the week, Andy .... Steve's splendid achievement deserves to be celebrated! I chose to do this song basically because I have a cold at the moment, and, therefore, even less voice than usual, and I thought it would be not too difficult to sing. It might be totally incomprehensible to all of you on the other side of the "Pond". At the end of the 1950s, Britain was just about beginning to recover from the after-effects of the War and life was changing, with the beginnings of a youth culture. The images that I used are mainly from a 1950s Soho, a part of London, which at the time, had a reputation for being a denizen of low-life, although it was probably at the forefront of the new coffee bar culture.

"Don't walk in front of me .. I may not follow.
    Don't walk behind me ... I may not lead.
    Walk beside me ... just be my friend."
    Albert Camus

The playlist is up and I have added the link to the OP. We’re off to an excellent start, thank you all.

I’ve also adjusted the rules slightly... For those who are more comfortable spending a few days working something up before they press record, Saturday will be a free day where any song can be submitted, even if it has already been played. Please do make a good faith effort though to play a song that hasn’t been played.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

I wanted to do one outside since the weather is nice and it's supposed to get more blustery later in the week. It was still quite windy today, and cars were going by, and Domino got excited digging for a gopher and I forgot some of the lyrics, so this was the best take I could get.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

The first ‘proper’ gig I went to was Tears For Fears at the Winter Gardens in Margate in 1983. They’d just hit the big time with this song, which reached number 3 on the UK chart. It was more recently covered by Gary Jules, who took it to the top spot nearly 20 years after the original was released.

I did this in one take - I think that’s a first!

Last edited by DelGriff; 01-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Here's a great one for any uke jam. A traditional song -- possibly from a sea shanty, possibly a field hand song from the post-Civil War American South. Pete Seeger, Bruce Springsteen, Lil' Rev and many others have done it and Steve done it too (sorry ...)

Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Song #096 was one I wrote. Thank you Steve!

This wrinkle thing is gonna be hard...but excellent idea! I will happily take this one off the list. These are gonna come fast and dirty for sure.
    Good on ya Steve- this has been cool.
    Last edited by TCK; 01-06-2019 at 07:18 PM.

This is my all time favorite John Prine song, and I think it's Steve's favorite too. I did this one awhile back, but am always up for trying it again. It's not an easy one to pull off for me.

Whiskey in my Whiskey by Felice Brothers.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Steve did this punk classic from the Buzzcocks for Season 320. Always tempting to go hell for leather when doing a punk song, but I reined it in a bit for this one. I was going to do this one for Del’s Rhythmn Stick Season, hence the noise of me slapping my bare feet (spare feet as my daughter used to call feet without shoes and socks) on the floor. Didn’t get round to it, but thankfully it was on Steve’s list. What a great year of music you’ve bought us Steve. This is also, naturally, a tribute to the wonderful Pete Shelley. Incidentally, the uke is a Kala tenor I bought off of fleabay after just after Christmas, and the Tee is my prize from Uke4ia recent Season , Thanks Jim.

Thread Information