-Been playing guitar for 45 years; just started with a uke
-I ordered a Kanilea from HMS yesterday...(there’s a story) 😁
-I look forward to learning here, been lurking awhile

-Hi, I’m Dave, 57 yo retired teacher
-I live a couple hours north of Toronto
-Been playing guitar for 45 years; just started with a uke
-I ordered a Kanilea from HMS yesterday...(there’s a story) ��
-I look forward to learning here, been lurking awhile

Hi, Dave! Welcome to UU! I am a teacher, too (bi-vocational pastor, too). Wish I was retired. Still have a couple more years if I can hang in there . . .

Come on and tell us the story of the uke purchase!

Hi Dave, again welcome to the forum! Looking forward to knowing more about the Kanile'a!

Hi Dave, from another Dave from Canada. There are alot of us ukulele playing Canadians here on UU.

Yes unfortunately the CITES regulations is a PITA. It is getting better now but early on I could not buy two instruments because of it. Welcome to UU and have fun. Kanilea are great instruments, enjoy it.

Hi from muddy West Virginia! My first uke was also from HMS. I am faculty at a community college, with a third of my students in high school.

Thanks all. Happy to be here.

I’m originally from Ohio and all my family still lives there. My new uke will be sent there first and My wife and I will retrieve it on a future visit.

Yes, I’m in the snow belt off of Georgian Bay. It started early this year but has settled down a bit the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Welcome Dave.
I can attest to the snow. I was in Peterborough last week and it was a snowy icy mess. I too got a Kanilea early on.

Adam

Howdy Dave, I'm another retired school teacher from Ontario, half way along the north shore of Lake Ontario. I keep my teaching chops in by spending one day a week in the local Long & McQuade's teaching guitar, banjo and ukulele. We still have a bit of snow on the ground, but it's been pretty mild down here.

To Dave, the Ohio-born Ontario resident:
A warm welcome!
From Jan, a Nova Scotia-born Oregon resident.

Welcome to the forum, Dave! A Kanilea from HMS: way to start your ukulele adventure! Mine started the same way (after having had a cheap instrument I seldom played).

Welcome neighbour! Is your avatar your ukulele?

It is beautiful. How long will you have to wait before you go get it.

Well...it’s in setup now; being what it is it may not need much setup but hard to tell. HSM seems pretty thorough. We’re off to Mexico next week and won’t get home until the 21st. So it will be between then and Family Day.

Last edited:
So you're in between the Shelburne Fiddle Festival and the Owen Sound Summerfolk Festival. A great location for a musician.

Hi, Jim. Yes, right in between...our property is right on the escarpment.

I taught middle school science in Ohio for years. I immigrated in 2005 and finished elementary with Bluewater DSB. I haven’t taught a day since I retired. 10.5 acres of bush keeps me pretty busy, in a good way usually.

Top Bottom