New Uke Day: Hive Adirondack Spruce / African Blackwood

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
Hi, UU. I'm excited to report I just received what I expect will be the last ukulele I'll acquire in my lifetime. The instrument was built for me by Jake Maclay of Hive Ukuleles. The specs are:

* Hornet Model Ukulele
* African Blackwood / Adirondack Spruce
* Side Soundport
* 14 Fret Body Joint
* Gotoh UPTL Tuners- Gold
* L.R. BAGGS 5.0 Pickup

Pictures below. I've had it for a couple of days now. When Jake asked for my reactions, I wrote: "It's perfect. If viewed just as an object it's a work of art. But it's not just an object. It's an instrument that's a cannon when strummed and has voicing with depth and complexity like a fine grand piano. Kind of shockingly good, really."

I highly recommend Hive Ukes!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b8zEgss64KRdiqZ58

Last edited:
It's very pretty. congratulations!

Congrats!

looks amazing

Hi, UU. I'm excited to report I just received what I expect will be the last ukulele I'll acquire in my lifetime. The instrument was built for me by Jake Maclay of Hive Ukuleles. The specs are:

* Hornet Model Ukulele
* Side Soundport
* 14 Fret Body Joint
* L.R. BAGGS 5.0 Pickup

Pictures below. I've had it for a couple of days now. When Jake asked for my reactions, I wrote: "It's perfect. If viewed just as an object it's a work of art. But it's not just an object. It's an instrument that's a cannon when strummed and has voicing with depth and complexity like a fine grand piano. Kind of shockingly good, really."

* Hornet Model Ukulele
* Side Soundport
* 14 Fret Body Joint
* L.R. BAGGS 5.0 Pickup

just 2 pics? :-(
congratulations!!
how did you go about fixing the spec?

Congratulations Kevin, it is gorgeous, but two pictures........come on buddy we need more ukulele p*** then that with a NUD:p

To state that this is possibly the last uke you will ever buy means you must be very impressed

Congratulations, sounds like you are ultimately happy with how this instrument turned out. I think I have seen some pictures of this uke being built on Hive's Instagram account.

Thank you everyone! I added a couple more photos to the collection, which Jake sent soon before he shipped the uke to me.

just 2 pics? :-(
congratulations!!
how did you go about fixing the spec?

Fixing the spec was easy.
I knew I wanted a 14-fret neck join, so I could more easily reach some upper frets. (Jake typically builds with a 12-fret join.)
Jake likes to build with an Adirondack spruce top and rosewood back+sides, so I went with that.
The final question was "which rosewood?" Jake sent a picture of various options. The African blackwood set said "pick me."
This instrument was Jake's first with African blackwood. We're both happy with the results!

Last edited:
Just did my first video recording of this instrument, which I thought I'd share as a sound sample. Cheers, UU!

Sounds as wonderful as it looks. Congratulations! I think you made an excellent choice for woods.

Great clarity and sustain.

I agree, great wood selection. Beauty, with a lovely voice. Congrats!

Thanks everybody! It really is a special instrument. I feel very lucky to have it. :)

Top Bottom