Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gig bag and clip-on tuner required?

Default Gig bag and clip-on tuner required?

Hi all,

Next week I will start the first of 9 group lessons in a 10-lesson course (I need to skip one due to previous commitments). Since the class is somewhere halfway between work and home, I plan on bringing the uke to work and leaving it in the car.

So, silly question: should I get a gig bag for it? Is there any added value there? Second, less silly question: when at home I use a chromatic Boss tuner. The guitarists in my band both use clip-ons and while I am not a big fan of those (for bass guitar), I do see some value for the uke.

So, suggestions are welcome :-)

Hi, Eddie!

My silly answer is that you don't need gig bag.

My less silly answer is this sound hole tuner. It is very nice for travel and even in daily use.
    Last edited by zztush; Tomorrow at 12:50 PM.

Definately get a tuner, you'll need it often, re gig bag, I have one for each of my ukes, it keeps them safe & clean.

P.S. A clip on tuner should be removed after tuning, to keep it safe.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Definately get a tuner, you'll need it often, re gig bag, I have one for each of my ukes, it keeps them safe & clean.

P.S. A clip on tuner should be removed after tuning, to keep it safe.
    Since the ukulele is so small, I would recommend a hard sided case instead of a bag. Soft bags are OK for large instruments where a hard sided case would make the instrument-plus-case hard to pack (think double bass, another one of my instruments), but offer very little protection other than the smallest dings and scrapes. Anything bigger than that will go right through the soft bag.

I once gave a ride to a very fine professional trombonist, and when I came to pick him up, he put his irreplaceable Selmer trombone, in a soft case, in the back of my Jeep Cherokee right in front of my baritone sax in its hard case! One sudden stop and the trombone slide would have been history! I changed that before I pulled away.

If your tuner uses a mic as the input, it is useless in a group setting. My first group session I tried to use an app on my phone. I instantly realized that this works at home when only one instrument is playing, and does not work with 10 playing. I had to borrow a clip on tuner from my neighbor. I bought several cheepies ($1.99 shipped from austin bazaar) but I will likely give them to players in the local group.
    Auto off is a big feature to have.
    I have one tuner from Cordoba that turns on when you clip it on. I like that.

I'd recommend both a gig bag and clip-on tuner, for safety and convenience. Depending on your climate, be careful leaving it in the car, especially if it's gonna get very hot. Treat your uke like you would a person or pet. In summer, the inside of a hot car can reach 130-140, no place for a wooden uke, which will develop severe problems in that kind of heat.
    John

If ‘twas me, I would use a gig bag or case (I have one for every instrument I own, including my tuba.), and a Snark tuner.

I don’t like the idea of leavin’ it in the car all day though.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Tuner, yes. Tiny Tim carried his ukulele around in a shopping bag. It just depends oh how worried you are about your uke. I have one uke that I wouldn't think of taking it out if it weren't in a hard case. I have another one that at first I just shoved in a backpack with the neck sticking out the top and gone out the door without a second thought. That said, a gig bag doesn't cost any more than a backpack. I did eventually get a gig bag for it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have a D'Addoria/Planet Waves mini tuner on everyone of ukes (8) and bass ukes/mini bass guitars (24), couldn't live without them. Get a gig bag or a hard case for protection. In my opinion they're both worth every penny.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

A clip on tuner that works off of vibration and not audio will be a lot more accurate and will work better in a loud environment, and those kinds tend to only be clip on...but luckily none are all too expensive! A gig bag is also very important in my opinion, if you are moving around a lot with your precious child. There are the paper thin gig bags you get with the instrument, and then there some actual high quality gig bags you can get for like $40 USD. My rule of thumb is generally for most instruments, don't pay more money for the bag or case, than the instrument is worth. If you want more info, I address this some in my intro to ukulele video, which you can find through my YouTube down below! hope I can help!
    Don't forget that Uke'n do it!
    Check out my Ukulele YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvG...7AmdP6rUzbWrzg
    Road work ahead? Well I sure hope it does.

Thread Information