Bound fretboard question

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
On a bound fretboard, should the frets stop before the binding, or carry on past the binding as if the binding wasn't actually there?

I thought the purpose of a bound fretboard was to not feel the frets, but do some bound fretboards actually have the frets go right to the edge?

Are both of these bound fretboards?

BF2.jpg

BF3.jpg

The frets should reach the edge of the fretboard. If the fretboard is bound, a bit of the fret tang has to be removed on each end to allow this.

A bound fingerboard is an aesthetic option, and nothing to do with feeling/not feeling frets.

As Beau said, it's for aesthetics. I make all my fret boards with blind fret slots so the fret tangs stop 2mm from the edge of the board. Though that has to be done on a CNC of you aren't using binding.

It's just that I have seen this definition and all the bound fretboard images I have seen, the frets stop before the edge of the fretboard.

For those that don't like to feel the ends of the frets when moving up and down the guitar neck, a bound neck is an option that can offer a smoother trip up and down the fingerboard (a.k.a. fretboard). Binding is the practice of taking a strip of material—typically vinyl—to line the outside of the fretboard.

On my fretboards, the frets go to the edge of the fretboard. The tangs are cut back to the edge of the binding and the overhang rests on the binding. Not having a tang slot or tangs is mainly an aesthetic consideration as has been pointed out, however one does not have to worry about the fretboard shrinking over time and and protruding tangs (ouch!)... I use wood. Others use plastic or celluloid. Never heard of using vinyl although I suppose that could be used. Below are pictures of bond fretboards. The first picture is undressed and the second dressed.
DSCN8018.jpg DSCN8108.jpg

On my fretboards, the frets go to the edge of the fretboard. The tangs are cut back to the edge of the binding and the overhang rests on the binding. Not having a tang slot or tangs is mainly an aesthetic consideration as has been pointed out, however one does not have to worry about the fretboard shrinking over time and and protruding tangs (ouch!)... I use wood. Others use plastic or celluloid. Never heard of using vinyl although I suppose that could be used. Below are pictures of bond fretboards. The first picture is undressed and the second dressed.
View attachment 114615 View attachment 114616

It's difficult to see from your photos, but it still appears that the fret doesn't reach to the very edge, or even go past the binding.

Would you be able to post a photo of looking directly down onto the fretboard please?

Are you implying that the one in your second picture has sharp frets or is less comfortable for you to play? The extreme separation on a KoAloha (your first picture) is their own unique way of binding the fretboard and not standard.

Are you implying that the one in your second picture has sharp frets or is less comfortable for you to play? The extreme separation on a KoAloha (your first picture) is their own unique way of binding the fretboard and not standard.

Yes, I can feel the frets when I play it, and just running a finger down the side of the binding every fret can be felt.

If you look closely at the photo, the fret end actually goes past the binding.

Last edited:
Yes, I can feel the frets when I play it, and just running a finger down the side of the binding every fret can be felt.

If you look closely at the photo, the fret end actually goes past the binding.

To my understanding, this is less about binding and more about fret dressing. Something that could be improved by a luthier even after the instrument is finished.

It's difficult to see from your photos, but it still appears that the fret doesn't reach to the very edge, or even go past the binding.

Would you be able to post a photo of looking directly down onto the fretboard please?

I put a piece of contrasting maple between the fretboard binding and the fretboard so you can clearly see the frets go all the way to the edge. Note that I have put a small 45 degree bevel on the edge of the binding which decreases the feeling of the frets.

DSCN8018.jpg

Below is another picture of another uke with fretboard binding with no contrasting strip. You could make a fretboard like in your first picture, but you would have to dress the frets before attaching the binding. Not a bad idea really but I've never done it.

fretboard.jpg fretbboard2.jpg

You could make a fretboard like in your first picture, but you would have to dress the frets before attaching the binding. Not a bad idea really but I've never done it.

I think this is exactly what KoAloha does. I'd assume this makes it actually easier to bind the fretboard, plus they certainly won't get any negative feedback about sharp frets this way. It also explains why KoAloha fretboards are 2mm wider than the standard nut width of 35mm.

Top Bottom