Beginner intonation questions

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
Having enjoyed my figured Maple and Redwood tenor that is now complete, I'm looking at compensation on the saddle. There is room for improvement Yen intonation. Guitar Tuna is an app for my Android phone that tells me that all strings are just a little flat, some more than others. It has a chromatic setting that registers in frequency numbers. The harmonic at the 12th fret is higher than the string when it is fretted. How precise do you get and are there considerations in intentionally missing spot on for some reason that I wouldn't know?
Thanks, all!

Having enjoyed my figured Maple and Redwood tenor that is now complete, I'm looking at compensation on the saddle. There is room for improvement Yen intonation. Guitar Tuna is an app for my Android phone that tells me that all strings are just a little flat, some more than others. It has a chromatic setting that registers in frequency numbers. The harmonic at the 12th fret is higher than the string when it is fretted. How precise do you get and are there considerations in intentionally missing spot on for some reason that I wouldn't know?
Thanks, all!

Chuck ..if you are going to use an electronic device all over the fretboard ..you will never get it perfectly in tune all fretted instruments have this problem..See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXKV8v32iQ&feature=youtu.be&t=45s

Of all the questions in the Luthier's Lounge, this one engenders the most confusion. It is a physics thing and there is no such thing as perfect intonation. Do your homework Chuck. Start with J.S. Bach's The Well Tempered Clavier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Well-Tempered_Clavier

PS: To delete a double post (like I did the other day), go to edit post and then delete post. Keeps things from getting cluttered up and keeps the moderator(s) happy.

As others have said no perfect intonation with fretted instuments, and the shorter the scale the more imperfect all other conditions excluded. It always bothers me when builders claim their ukuleles have perfect intonation.

With a 1/8" thick saddle, I aim (and get) all the strings within 5 cents of perfect intonation at the 12th fret.

To get perfect intonation (at the 12th fret), you need a 4-5mm wide saddle.

It should be noted that if you change string brand and/or gauge, the intonation will change.....

The N-track tuner is a good free tuner that displays Cents.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.51.15 PM.jpg

As others have said no perfect intonation with fretted instuments, and the shorter the scale the more imperfect all other conditions excluded. It always bothers me when builders claim their ukuleles have perfect intonation.

You mean they are "Purveyor's of Terminological inexactitude" (Winston Churchill) :)

Top Bottom