Before buying your first uke

SpaceForRent

Reaction score
Maybe this is common knowledge for some, but it was news to me:

Many of the public libraries in this area (and perhaps yours) have ukulele kits to loan out. The library in my town doesn't, but I was able to go a couple of towns over to a library in the same network that has two kits. I just came home with a Makala MK-S soprano, clip-on tuner, gig bag, and a Hal Leonard beginner's book.

So if you think you want to start playing the ukulele but aren't quite ready to lay down some cash, or you're like me and are building a kit but don't have anything to play right now... this could be a good first step in the right direction.

Awesome way to start. I bought a ukulele from Guitar Center when I started because they gave me 40 days to return it if I decided Ukulele was not for me.

Libraries are great resources. My local library system has free intro ukulele lessons and lots of great books and streaming videos to learn from. They also have some duds, but at library prices I can afford to get one of each and concentrate on the ones that work for me

I've started a ukulele YouTube channel, because I'm relatively new, but have advanced quickly because I have a lot of general music experience, so I feel I can address issues beginners are having, because I was more recently a beginner myself. I have some videos where I talk about getting started with ukulele, song tutorials, and I'll be releasing a video about strumming and chord formation soon. Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGt5_hMB7AmdP6rUzbWrzg
I hope I can be of help!:D :D

I too borrowed a soprano ukulele from local library here first and then only later bought my concert ukulele.

Libraries are the greatest resource to get also other stuff like ukulele learning books, records etc. Also some access to instructional pay internet music learning sites that you can listen for free there.
I don't know how it is in other countries, but here libraries are also totally free for customers. Except when you forget to return borrowed stuff in time and have to then pay the fine.

Wow! Thank you for the heads up. I live in Eastern Massachusetts and never thought to check libraries.

- Patrick

Maybe this is common knowledge for some, but it was news to me:

Many of the public libraries in this area (and perhaps yours) have ukulele kits to loan out. The library in my town doesn't, but I was able to go a couple of towns over to a library in the same network that has two kits. I just came home with a Makala MK-S soprano, clip-on tuner, gig bag, and a Hal Leonard beginner's book.

So if you think you want to start playing the ukulele but aren't quite ready to lay down some cash, or you're like me and are building a kit but don't have anything to play right now... this could be a good first step in the right direction.

I too borrowed a soprano ukulele from local library here first and then only later bought my concert ukulele.

Libraries are the greatest resource to get also other stuff like ukulele learning books, records etc. Also some access to instructional pay internet music learning sites that you can listen for free there.
I don't know how it is in other countries, but here libraries are also totally free for customers. Except when you forget to return borrowed stuff in time and have to then pay the fine.

Excellent! The idea is spreading. Our club, TBUS has been putting ukes in libraries for 3 years.
As an added benefit, we also provide free beginner workshops in the libraries. This year, they are every 2 weeks for the first 4 months of the year. When they're done, we'll probably have a monthly jam session just for our beginners who want to keep learning to play with others.
The program is very intensive, we have week 1: "Rank" beginners, week 2: "Advanced" beginners, week 3: strum and sing together, and it starts over.

Top Bottom