Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area

Default Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area

I was just relating my newbie experience in another thread, and realized that I hadn't introduced myself on this forum.

About six months ago, I decided to try my hand at playing ukulele. I spent my early childhood years in Hawaii, and have vacationed there annually in more recent times, so I've always loved the sound of the instrument. Having had a rather miserable experience trying to learn guitar in my distant youth, I wasn't sure how this would go, but I was determined to give it a fair shot.

I bought a starter-level tenor ukulele to try out, with the immediate goal of learning a couple of songs in time for my wife's birthday on Thanksgiving weekend. I managed to exceed that goal by having three songs I could strum and sing competently when the big day arrived (and could have added a couple of others, but, you know, leave 'em wanting more!).

It must have gone okay, because my wife rewarded my efforts by upgrading me to a Kala ziricote tenor from Uke Republic for my own birthday in December. It was joined this week by a beautiful solid mahogany Ohana from Mim's, so it looks as though I'm committed.

Looking forward to continuing to learn and grow. I'm never going to be a virtuoso player, but I'm having fun entertaining myself.

Welcome from an Oaklander!

Welcome to the UU, SwanShadow. Personally, I think virtuosity is over-rated. :-) My motto is "the one who has the most fun wins." Hope you enjoy your ukulele journey!
    Jan D.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (all solid koa concert)
    Ohana TK-35CG (all solid mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Welcome from an Oaklander!
    Thanks! I’m down the freeway in Newark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan D View Post
    Welcome to the UU, SwanShadow. Personally, I think virtuosity is over-rated. :-) My motto is "the one who has the most fun wins." Hope you enjoy your ukulele journey!
    Jan D.
    Thanks! I like your philosophy.

If you venture to the other side of the Bay check out PUG on meetup.com (Peninsula Ukulele group), great starter and beyond group in no pressure group setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Weebeastie View Post
    If you venture to the other side of the Bay check out PUG on meetup.com (Peninsula Ukulele group), great starter and beyond group in no pressure group setting.
    Thanks! That’s good to know. I would have to get a lot more confident about my playing, but I’m working on it.

Welcome. I live up the road from you in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by chikon2000 View Post
    Welcome. I live up the road from you in Richmond.
    Thanks! I drive across your fine bridge on occasion. In fact, many years ago, my car blew a head gasket on the Richmond-San Rafael as my family and I were headed to an A’s game. Needless to say, we missed the game.

Welcome from another newbie in Oakland CA.
    I have found this to be a welcoming site, and a good source of information.

David

Thread Information