Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area

Quote Originally Posted by SwanShadow View Post
    Thanks! That’s good to know. I would have to get a lot more confident about my playing, but I’m working on it.
    We have absolute beginners and the first 1/2 hour is for that with basic chords and easy strum etc. No pressure at all. I felt the same way and I am not great so I get stuck and just try and catch up or play the next song etc.

Anyway all personal preference.

Welcome again.

We would welcome you coming SwanShadow. There is usually a beginner lesson at 5:30p and tomorrow we are hosting a Music Theory for Ukulele Players workshop. Great resource for a beginner. And welcome to UU
    Linda C, organizer for PUGs
    Everybody should have and play a uke. It’s so simple to carry with you and it is one instrument you can’t play and not laugh! - George Harrison

Organizer, Peninsula Ukulele Group www.meetup.com/Peninsula-Ukulele-Group

Quote Originally Posted by Weebeastie View Post
    We have absolute beginners and the first 1/2 hour is for that with basic chords and easy strum etc. No pressure at all. I felt the same way and I am not great so I get stuck and just try and catch up or play the next song etc.

Anyway all personal preference.

Welcome again.
    Thanks very much! I will definitely keep it in mind.
    Ohana TK-39 (solid mahogany tenor - "Nani")
    Kala KA-ZCT-T (ziricote laminate tenor - "The Ghost")

“Strictly rhythm, he doesn’t wanna make it cry or sing...” - Dire Straits

Quote Originally Posted by pinkuke View Post
    We would welcome you coming SwanShadow. There is usually a beginner lesson at 5:30p and tomorrow we are hosting a Music Theory for Ukulele Players workshop. Great resource for a beginner. And welcome to UU
    Linda C, organizer for PUGs
    Thanks very much for the additional info. I may give it a try sometime!
    Ohana TK-39 (solid mahogany tenor - "Nani")
    Kala KA-ZCT-T (ziricote laminate tenor - "The Ghost")

“Strictly rhythm, he doesn’t wanna make it cry or sing...” - Dire Straits

Default Hey from across the bay!

Quote Originally Posted by SwanShadow View Post
    I was just relating my newbie experience in another thread, and realized that I hadn't introduced myself on this forum.

About six months ago, I decided to try my hand at playing ukulele. I spent my early childhood years in Hawaii, and have vacationed there annually in more recent times, so I've always loved the sound of the instrument. Having had a rather miserable experience trying to learn guitar in my distant youth, I wasn't sure how this would go, but I was determined to give it a fair shot.

I bought a starter-level tenor ukulele to try out, with the immediate goal of learning a couple of songs in time for my wife's birthday on Thanksgiving weekend. I managed to exceed that goal by having three songs I could strum and sing competently when the big day arrived (and could have added a couple of others, but, you know, leave 'em wanting more!).

It must have gone okay, because my wife rewarded my efforts by upgrading me to a Kala ziricote tenor from Uke Republic for my own birthday in December. It was joined this week by a beautiful solid mahogany Ohana from Mim's, so it looks as though I'm committed.

Looking forward to continuing to learn and grow. I'm never going to be a virtuoso player, but I'm having fun entertaining myself.
    Welcome to the Bay Area community of ukulele players. Those Kala Ziracote's are real lookers and sound nice real too (I got one for my wife a couple Christmases ago.)

There is also a monthly group that plays in Freemont that you might want to look into. Sorry, I don't have the details on how to contact them.

-- Gary

A little late, but welcome to the forums!!

Welcome SwanShadow!

Thread Information