Ukulele course: James Hill or Rockschool course?

Check out Matt Stead's channel on YouTube. Absolutely free (unless you want to donate), hundreds of lessons, and he is an excellent communicator and teacher.

Check out Matt Stead's channel on YouTube. Absolutely free (unless you want to donate), hundreds of lessons, and he is an excellent communicator and teacher.

I've written elsewhere here at UU about how strongly I feel about Matt Stead -- and not just for beginners. He's the very definition of "something for everyone", including hardcore music theory and niche genres, and it's clear, comprehensive, fun, and yes, free.

Have you tried UU+? How does it compare to the James Hill courses?

I feel like UU+ is one of the most underrated gems in the universe of ukulele instruction. Over 500 hours of bite-sized lessons, a couple of hundred additional in-depth song tutorials (a great way to check out Aldrine's teaching style), lots of live group training, and two 15-minute one-on-one Zoom sessions a month. If you pay annually, it works out to like $13.33/month. That's INSANE, and that's even before you start on things like the Kalei Gamiao Master Class, sessions with Craig Chee, Imua Garza, Matt Dahlberg, and some other folks.

Seriously, which other world-class ukulele players are offering a half-hour of one-on-one for $13 and change ON TOP OF the hundreds of hours in the library? Aldrine isn't just skilled (which he is). He's off-the-charts exuberant, which goes a long way to keeping up YOUR energy, and sings with the voice of an angel. I love just listening to the guy, and feel like the singing part of "playing and singing" doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

You can get a two week trial that I'd highly recommend, as well as a 30-day money back guarantee if you want to sign up first.

I've been scratching my head why there's not more chatter about UU+ here, and I think it might be a combination of so many folks here having learned to play before UU even started, and that there's a UU-specific forum where maybe those folks tend to be more active? Maybe? Also, with some places like Rock Class 101 leaning much more into non-singing arrangements, maybe folks who don't want to sing gravitate toward instructors who don't sing?

I'm just guessing here, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to either James Hill or Rock Class. (I'm not currently paying either, but subscribe to both on YT.) Nobody's going to go wrong with either of those. But I'd hate for anyone not to have both Matt Stead and UU+ on their radar too. We're all playing "choose your own adventure" here, right, so knowing the choices will enrich the adventure. :)

Last edited:
I've written elsewhere here at UU about how strongly I feel about Matt Stead -- and not just for beginners. He's the very definition of "something for everyone", including hardcore music theory and niche genres, and it's clear, comprehensive, fun, and yes, free.

I feel like UU+ is one of the most underrated gems in the universe of ukulele instruction. Over 500 hours of bite-sized lessons, a couple of hundred additional in-depth song tutorials (a great way to check out Aldrine's teaching style), lots of live group training, and two 15-minute one-on-one Zoom sessions a month. If you pay annually, it works out to like $13.33/month. That's INSANE, and that's even before you start on things like the Kalei Gamiao Master Class, sessions with Craig Chee, Imua Garza, Matt Dahlberg, and some other folks.

Seriously, which other world-class ukulele players are offering a half-hour of one-on-one for $13 and change ON TOP OF the hundreds of hours in the library? Aldrine isn't just skilled (which he is). He's off-the-charts exuberant, which goes a long way to keeping up YOUR energy, and sings with the voice of an angel. I love just listening to the guy, and feel like the singing part of "playing and singing" doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

You can get a two week trial that I'd highly recommend, as well as a 30-day money back guarantee if you want to sign up first.

I've been scratching my head why there's not more chatter about UU+ here, and I think it might be a combination of so many folks here having learned to play before UU even started, and that there's a UU-specific forum where maybe those folks tend to be more active? Maybe? Also, with some places like Rock Class 101 leaning much more into non-singing arrangements, maybe folks who don't want to sing gravitate toward instructors who don't sing?

I'm just guessing here, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to either James Hill or Rock Class. (I'm not currently paying either, but subscribe to both on YT.) Nobody's going to go wrong with either of those. But I'd hate for anyone not to have both Matt Stead and UU+ on their radar too. We're all playing "choose your own adventure" here, right, so knowing the choices will enrich the adventure. :)
Looked really quick at Matt Stead - looks like a good place to check out .. Several good places out there - that one I did not know about. Looks like a real nice find Tim.

Top Bottom