Sticker

Ukebottom

Reaction score
I am buying a ukulele that has a large, ugly sticker plastered on the front. Any tips on removing it from a glossy surface without damaging the finish? Thanks

I am buying a ukulele that has a large, ugly sticker plastered on the front. Any tips on removing it from a glossy surface without damaging the finish? Thanks

You might try some Dawn dish soap or similar, and using a wet paper towel or soft sponge, work it up into a lather on the surface of the sticker and let it sit a while (30 mins?) an then with your fingers, gently rub, and sort of roll the sticker off, with your finger motion going all in the same direction, which helps to keep the sticker paper in mostly one piece and this way it comes off easier.

If you can get most of the paper off and then adhesive is left behind, you could try a second application of the lather, and again rub and 'roll' the adhesive off.

If there is still residue, two methods I have successfully use are:

- take some masking tape and smooth it over the adhesive and then pull it off quickly, alternating with a quick press-and-release with the tape at your finger-tip. The low-tack glue on the masking tape will attach to the adhesive and pull it off. Repeating this process a few dozen times might be necessary

- another method is to use FunTak or Blue Tack, and once you have rolled and pulled it a dozen times (which activates the stickiness) you then press it on and pull it off quickly, also repeat a few dozen times.

It may seem like these wont work, but they have worked for me.

The Dawn or similar dish soap should not hurt a glossy finish, and when all is done you may need to just wipe down the area with water using either a soft sponge or microfiber cloth.

A last resort might be a similar method as the above but using isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or "iso"), which should help dissolve the sticker paper and adhesive, but may leave a dull sheen in the gloss finish underneath (which you might be able to gently buff out using the mild abrasive found in common generic toothpaste, rubbing in a circular motion with your fingertip. Then rinsing it off with water and sponge or paper towel.

Isopropyl alcohol is also a solvent for Sharpie and similar "permanent markers" and can remove that ink too.

Having said the above, all these suggestions are at your own risk, and I am not liable if something bad happens.

Good luck!

Heat works well. Try heating the sticker with a hair dryer and then peel, heat, peel, heat.

Why does it have a big ugly sticker? I hope it's not covering up a crack, or other damage. Caveat emptor!

John Colter.

Cover it with a larger prettier sticker ;)

If you use any solvents or alcohols or such test first somewhere innocuous so you don't discover the finish is alcohol soluble somewhere obvious.

Dependant on what kind of glue the sticker uses, often stickers can be removed by carefully easing them up, then pulling them gently back on/over itself, easing it from side to side, this may leave some stickiness, which can be rubbed off by thumb or finger.

Heat works well. Try heating the sticker with a hair dryer and then peel, heat, peel, heat.

Absolutely try gentle heat first. Not so hot that it burns to the touch or it will bubble the finish.

Success!

Uke is here and sticker peeled right off. Got residue off with your suggestions. It’s a Bushman pineapple...it’s beautiful and sounds great. Thanks to all for the help!

That sounds like a great result. I'm glad my suspicions were unfounded.

Congratulations!

John Colter.

Top Bottom