12- fret vs 14-fret concerts

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Many modern concerts seem to have 14 frets to the body. But I have seen some with only 12 frets to the body, which results in the bridge being further down towards the bottom. As far as K-brands, Kamaka seems to use 12, Kanilea and Koolau use 14, and it looks like the Koaloha KCM-00 has 13 frets to the body. The Martin C1K has 12. I've seen talk of builders wanting to place the bridge in "the sweet spot", and not sure how the 12 fret vs 14 fret thing affects that.

If someone, like me, is more of a strummer, and not playing up high, is there better sound to be had with a 12-fret concert?

Last edited:
I'm having my Loprinzi concert built with 12 frets to the body. I personally prefer the look of a 12 fret.
Not sure if you've seen it but here's a video from MyaMoe showing a difference between their 12 and 14 fret concerts.
It was one of the only videos I could find on the subject after looking a while ago.

Thanks Curt, that was indeed very informative! They seem to say that there's not much difference in the sound between the 12 and 14 fret models.

No problem. I wish they could've compared two of concerts made from the same tone wood.

I've read where some people say that with the bridge set back farther it should give better sound/tone, but like they said in the video, it's probably hardly a difference.

Great video! Thanks for sharing it!

It pretty much hit my expectation that other changes would have a larger effect (I was surprised they expected it to have more of an affect than the woods), and I'd love to hear a comparison with more identical instruments. Even so (and based on what I've heard on guitars) I'd think the sound would be different but not necessarily better. Just like different tonewoods, "better" is in your-mileage-may-vary land.

That said, all else equal, if I couldn't listen to the actual instrument to compare, and if I didn't expect to play up the neck I'd pick a 12 fret. But that's just me and all else is rarely equal.

For me I much prefer a 12 fret. I too am primarily a strummer and really have no use for anything past say the 9th fret. Especially those frets that are on the body of the instrument. I would think since there is less wood connected to the top of the uke, regarding the fretboard extension, that it would allow it to vibrate more freely even its its only slightly. Plus it looks so darn cool!

A few times I wondered what it means for the sound of a longneck soprano or longneck concert, that the bridge is placed very close to the bottom of the body.

Such as this, which both has 14 frets to the body and the bridge placed close to the bottom:
http://worldofukes.co.uk/concert-ukuleles/lanikai-waimea-hawaii-made-super-concert-ukulele

Looking at the range of concert ukuleles in the same webshop as the above, it seems that a lot of them have 14 frets to the body. More than has 12 frets to the body. And it doesn't necessarily mean that the bridge is closer to the soundhole og bottom, most of them adjust their body shape.

Hm. Looks best to me with a somewhat centered bridge between hole and bottom. Regardless of number of frets.

For me I much prefer a 12 fret. I too am primarily a strummer and really have no use for anything past say the 9th fret. Especially those frets that are on the body of the instrument. I would think since there is less wood connected to the top of the uke, regarding the fretboard extension, that it would allow it to vibrate more freely even its its only slightly. Plus it looks so darn cool!

I agree. It does look so much better with 12 to the body and no extension.

I too would like have a 12 fret to the body concert ukulele. They are hard to find.
Seems this 14 fret to the body was copied from an acoustic steel string guitar, perhaps from greedy newcomers appreciating more frets fad. Well uke is a plastic string instrument same as a classical guitar.

I find the octave of the string much easier when it is at the body, instead 2 frets off too, just my opinion ;)

Perhaps a video comparison of a 14 fret Kiwaya KTC -2

[video]https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/kiwaya-ktc-2-mahogany-concert-pack.html[/video]

and a 12 fret Kiwaya KTC-1 might help...

https://vimeo.com/148526043

Last edited:
Being a finger picker myself, I would say that the 14th fret is a non-issue. If the ukulele had a 15th, 17th, and 19th fret, then I would be singing a different tune. But the 14th is just plain weird to me. I say stop at the the 12th, but if you're going to go higher, then get a 15th fret at least.

Being a finger picker myself, I would say that the 14th fret is a non-issue. If the ukulele had a 15th, 17th, and 19th fret, then I would be singing a different tune. But the 14th is just plain weird to me. I say stop at the the 12th, but if you're going to go higher, then get a 15th fret at least.

I think it was not really about the number of frets, but if we wanted the body start at 12th fret. It to me has the advantages of a bigger body and somewhat easier to find the octave notes.

15 frets is nice to have for a 2 octave range with a re-entrant tuning at least, but it can be a problem finger picking then if a low action. It is at least on my 18 fret concert. But a bigger body can help I think.

Perhaps a video comparison of a 14 fret Kiwaya KTC -2

[video]https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/kiwaya-ktc-2-mahogany-concert-pack.html[/video]

and a 12 fret Kiwaya KTC-1 might help...

https://vimeo.com/148526043

Thanks for those comparison videos. The 14 fret Kiwaya sounds deeper to me, which makes sense. I guess choosing between the two types would depend on the sound the player wants. I would personally prefer the deeper sound if it were, but others might want the brighter sound of the 12 fret Kiwaya.

More important for me with the KTC-1 would be the absence of the overhang with the extra frets. I'm always bumping into those overhangs, which seem to be in exactly the spot where I like to strum. Probably more my fault than the uke's. Then the question becomes do I want to pay way more for that one feature, which is available on very few concert ukes.

If you're adventurous, you can "scoop" the fretboard. I did it on an older, inexpensive uke and I'm very pleased with the results.

Basically, you pull all the frets past the 12th fret... or any fret you want past that, and then file/sand/chisel/scrape the fretboard down at least to the point that the bottoms of the fret slots vanish. You can then take it down nice and smooth past that point with cabinet scrapers and sandpaper to get a nice smooth finish.

Power tools would make a very quick job of it if I allowed power tools anywhere near any of my instruments :D

Here's a lousy pic of the one I did.
The fretboard extension has been reduced to the thickness of a veneer overlay.
IMG_20181106_130115_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
Ukulele extends neck in order to become 14 fret. Guitar extends body in order to become 12 fret.

I have to buy 12 fret dreadnought before Dave buy it. :))

It would depend on the manufacturer and the model if the body size changes or not. Taylor uses the same body for 12-fret and 14-fret guitars, but moves (extends) the neck . https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/specialty/12-fret

12-fret-image-1-500x410.jpg

Top Bottom